Railroad Forums 

• Boston Surface Railroad: Worcester-Providence Commuter Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1472684  by BandA

How do we measure progress on this project?

I don't think you need much capital for a pilot if you lease your rolling stock and use P&W engineers/conductors. Need a website, a ticketing system, wooden high platforms, bus shelters/canopies, and some signs. Will the crews change to PAR employees, or will crews run-through? Maybe two trainsets, one with P&W crew & one with PAR?

City of Lowell authorization to negotiate, Memorandum of Understanding, and some interesting tables. I think we've already seen the MOU.
https://www.lowellma.gov/AgendaCenter/V ... leID=12416
There is an exclusivity clause, and the Memorandum of Understanding expires 9/30/2018 (after 11 months). So it will have to be renewed!.

What are the numbers in the tables? Are these municipal responsible costs that they expect grants to cover?
 #1472716  by MaineCoonCat

!NITPICK WARNING!

Oversight not "Oversite" doggone it!!!
InkedBSRC spelling error1_LI.jpg
 #1473289  by ts.puruz

How do we measure progress on this project?
We can't and I think that's on purpose. I work in this building and I don't know a lot. I see people come and go. I check the sign-in register because I'm nosey and the receptionist doesn't tattle.

Mostly Amtrak, Genessee, VHB and Siemens lately.

I have literally had reporters from the Providence Journal and Worcester Telegram accost me at my car and I am like "I just don't know guys".

Vincent, Jonathan, Amber etc are really tight lipped about schedules and whatnot. I even said "what if I wanted to invest" and got "then you'd sign an NDA" . They are pretty good natured about it but jeez I am used to working with restaurant owners who can't help but brag about every little aspect of their operations!
What are the numbers in the tables? Are these municipal responsible costs that they expect grants to cover?
I shall ask. I drink at the same local bar hahahaha.
Last edited by ts.puruz on Fri May 18, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1473381  by BandA

There's an exclusivity provision in their agreements with the municipal partners. So presumably Lowell & Nashua can't negotiate with the MBTA for an extension to NH while they are negotiating with BSRR. I assume BSRR would be able to get service going faster. Would their operating costs be lower than Keolis? I assume PWRR workers are unionized.
 #1475349  by MaineCoonCat

[quote="On June 06, 2018 In an article entitled "AECOM signs on for N.H. commuter rail", Stuart Chirls, Senior Editor of the Railway Age staff"]
AECOM signs on for N.H. commuter rail

A New Hampshire city is looking to revive its passenger rail service, and has hired an engineering consultant to help.
The city of Nashua has contracted with AECOM of Los Angeles to study the restoration of commuter rail, needed infrastructure upgrades, and how to pay for it.

“We don’t have that internal rail expertise, and that is why we wanted to bring that outside counsel to help us and guide us,” said Tim Cummings, Nashua’s director of economic development.
The consulting firm employs Frank DePaola, former general manager of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority and former chief operating officer of MassDOT.[/quote]

Read more of this story at Railway Age's web site
 #1476469  by FLRailFan1

ProRail wrote:Boston Surface Railroad=
BSRR....=
B.....S......RR......

Doesn't anyone else see what this is???

No real capital,
No real public justification.....
No railroad.
BSRR = It could be BULL S--- Railroad...Mind you, I'd love to see it, but I'm not sure if it will happen...
 #1476522  by newpylong

BandA wrote:How do we measure progress on this project?

I don't think you need much capital for a pilot if you lease your rolling stock and use P&W engineers/conductors. Need a website, a ticketing system, wooden high platforms, bus shelters/canopies, and some signs. Will the crews change to PAR employees, or will crews run-through? Maybe two trainsets, one with P&W crew & one with PAR?

City of Lowell authorization to negotiate, Memorandum of Understanding, and some interesting tables. I think we've already seen the MOU.
https://www.lowellma.gov/AgendaCenter/V ... leID=12416
There is an exclusivity clause, and the Memorandum of Understanding expires 9/30/2018 (after 11 months). So it will have to be renewed!.

Insurance. $$$
 #1476527  by PBMcGinnis

The 2 freight railroads have no desire to be in the passenger business. Crews are expensive to properly train on freight service as it is. The MBTA/Keolis already hire away good C&E talent from the 2 of them now. So the ranks constantly need to be replenished on both now to cover freight assignments.

And as mentioned by Newpylong, insurance, insurance, insurance!
Liability insurance
Property insurance
Equipment insurance
Health insurance of personnel
Indemnification clauses to operate over the same freight lines

There is a lot of capital needed just at start up.