Railroad Forums 

• New Build Steam

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#1540002  by Pensyfan19

I have noticed that Great Britain has numerous projects to restore or rebuild steam locomotives, most of which are under construction as we speak. Why aren't there more cases for new build steam in the U.S., other than the 5550 project? Why can't some groups similar to the A1 project or others who are building smaller steam locomotives, such as the LNER Class F5 2-4-2T 67218 project for example, rebuild other steam locomotives from the U.S.? These projects can range from an SP AC-9, or be as small as a B&O Little Joe. I am aware that there is an existing topic in this thread about bringing a steam locomotives back from the dead, but I am asking why there can't be more steam rebuild projects in the U.S. for steam locomotives of all kinds? Also, are there any others currently proposed or under construction other than the ones mentioned on Wikipedia, being 5550, the WW&F and V&T locomotives?
 #1540154  by Allen Hazen

I don't know whether Britain has more rail enthusiasts than the U.S., but they certainly seem to have been more successful in organizing themselves to support these projects!
--
My guess is that the cost of a new-build steam locomotive is likely to be very roughly proportional to the size of the locomotive, and big U.S. steam was very big! Even the largest British express locomotives were (I haven't bothered to check this, but I'm reasonably confident it's so) smaller (=lighter in weight) than a USRA light Pacific. Building a new B&O Little Joe would be a lot more do-able than an SP AC-9: this might be a practical project!
--Note that there have been a few new-build steam locomotives in the U.S. Didn't the National Park Service get two 4-4-0's for Promontory? And I definitely remember that the Mt. Washington Got Railway got a new steamer in the 1970s.
 #1540208  by Pensyfan19

There have been some new build steam projects in the past, especially 4-4-0s for some tourist railways. British locomotives are MUCH smaller than those in America (look at freight engines in Liberia with a British Rail class 08 export next to a GP38 (I think) export to Liberia), hence they might be easier to rebuild, especially some of the tank engines. I would recommend restoring some of the smaller engines of the U.S. first, such as 4-6-0s, 2-6-0s and yard switchers including 0-6-0s and 0-4-0s. However, there are also projects for larger locomotives, such as the T1. These larger locomotives can be done as well, but less frequent as the smaller ones due to cost and size.
 #1540559  by Clif

One new steam project that is slowly taking shape is the WW&F museum in Maine is building a new from scratch 2-4-4RT forney type 2 foot gauge steamer, they have redrawn all the original plans of #7 that burned up in the 1930's so are using the plans to build a new #11 with new patterns being made and casting the parts.

here is the image of what they want it to look like;

http://stephenhussar.smugmug.com/photos ... 6hM2-M.jpg

here is the webpage from their forum about the work being done

http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php/topic,11.0.html

it's a work in progress that will take the volunteers who are doing this years, but given how much they have already accomplished up there in Maine I have faith it will get done.
 #1544028  by CharlieL

I think one of the big factors is: where would you run a new steamer? In Great Britain they seem to be putting them on mainline passenger service (and other places), at least occasionally and not just excursions. Other than a few western lines, it's like extracting teeth to get excursions on any class 1 railroads, much less steam.
 #1544082  by Pensyfan19

CharlieL wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:48 pm I think one of the big factors is: where would you run a new steamer? In Great Britain they seem to be putting them on mainline passenger service (and other places), at least occasionally and not just excursions. Other than a few western lines, it's like extracting teeth to get excursions on any class 1 railroads, much less steam.
It can be done similarly to N&W 611 and other British steam locomotives: have them visit other famous heritage railroads. 611 visited Strasburg last year and Tornado visited numerous British heritage railways.