Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1543094  by nyandw

Not to start a flame war at all. But, the new interface is a visual disaster as 'I see it'. Yipes. I understand the contrast issue as indicated in the no reply Admin Section. But, it also appears the fonts and size are not reader friendly, the far left column icons are too large, etc. I understand that whenever a new upgrade, interface or replacement site occurs there is a learning curve, disharmony, and the need for the familiar status quo. But, this new look sure leaves a whole lot not to like, IMO. Thanks.
 #1543108  by railfaned

Another vote for NYANDW , He's right on with his comments. I thought my computer settings got messed up.
 #1543111  by Pensyfan19

I agree. I like the old format (the one we had up to Saturday) better than this one.
 #1543116  by gprimr1

We can adjust the width of the display if people would like. The original theme looked more like this: https://sitesplat.com/phpBB3/

That said, we cannot do any real customization with the old theme, so we can't really move the site forward with it. This also gives us more control over the ads. No more random ads appearing in the middle of posts.
 #1543121  by smsullivan11

gprimr1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:36 am We can adjust the width of the display if people would like. The original theme looked more like this: https://sitesplat.com/phpBB3/

That said, we cannot do any real customization with the old theme, so we can't really move the site forward with it. This also gives us more control over the ads. No more random ads appearing in the middle of posts.
Personally love the new theme, especially as someone whose been on these forums since like 7th grade in 2006. That example you linked to does look like a nice improvement over an already huge upgrade.
 #1543125  by andegold

The theme is okay, the colors could have more contrast but they're not horrible. The killer is that there is no longer a single click way to get to unread/new posts. You must click in to the first page of a topic and then click on First Unread post. The old theme allowed you to click the icon on the left and jump immediately to First Unread.

EDIT - I see now that the asterisk can be clicked to take you to First Unread. Functionally acceptable but then why is the icon to the left so big?
 #1543129  by DutchRailnut

very hard to read , and not an improvement in my opinion .
 #1543141  by Pensyfan19

gprimr1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:36 am We can adjust the width of the display if people would like. The original theme looked more like this: https://sitesplat.com/phpBB3/

I think that the width of the pages is the largest problem with this redesign. Please adjust the width of the page as close to what the old site was.
 #1543148  by newkirk

Some web sites have an option to change the background color from white to black.

The all white background is horrible on my eyes.

The old blue background was easier to read.
 #1543157  by Jeff Smith

nyandw wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:30 pm Not to start a flame war at all. But, the new interface is a visual disaster as 'I see it'. Yipes. I understand the contrast issue as indicated in the no reply Admin Section. But, it also appears the fonts and size are not reader friendly, the far left column icons are too large, etc. I understand that whenever a new upgrade, interface or replacement site occurs there is a learning curve, disharmony, and the need for the familiar status quo. But, this new look sure leaves a whole lot not to like, IMO. Thanks.
Steve! How dare you! Just kidding, of course.

As Greg has noted, we're really trying to enhance function and ability. I do think contrast is an issue; the Night Stalker view you can select from the drop down under your name helps a lot with that. The old "template" was causing some issues. I tend to be with you on the learning curve... when we switched from MS-DOS to Windows back in the early 90's, I hated it!
 #1543160  by newkirk

Jeff Smith wrote:I do think contrast is an issue; the Night Stalker view you can select from the drop down under your name helps a lot with that.

Ahh........much better.

But what happened to the quotes ?
 #1543190  by dieciduej

The width of the screen, whether it be the new look or the old look (sounds like GM bus talk :P ) doesn't bother me. I usually enlarge the fonts anyway. Contrast is the issue for me and Nightstalker Mode is what I switch to. Is it possible to set that as the default within the User's preferences?
 #1543260  by Head-end View

I apologize for sounding so negative but this new forum is horrible. Colors, font, width etc. It sucks. I don't mean to be critical of the administrators who run this board. I'm sure we all appreciate your work in setting this up and maintaining it. But this is just not user friendly. Hope you can come up with something better. Thanks again for your efforts.