Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Stimulus Projects/Wishlist

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1539728  by Pensyfan19

Since there is talk of a four trillion dollar infrastructure stimulus, and that there are similar topics across the site, might as well have one for the Long Island Railroad for its top projects and priorities which could be supported by this stimulus.

1. East Side Access
2. New dual mode passenger (or even MoW diesel) fleet
3. Platform extensions along the Montauk Branch (not an official project but it's something I would hope for)
4. Double track and second platform for Northport?
5. Northport branch or Wading River branch restoration?
 #1539752  by Jeff Smith

Good topic... can't believe I forgot to put one in here. :P

1. ESA and Third Track are kind of done deals and moving forward; one slowly, and one rapidly, respectively.
2. In the works, and it's supposed to be a joint procurement IIRC amongst Amtrak, LIRR, and MNRR. The fleets won't be combined, of course, but there will be commonalities of equipment
3. Good idea. Can't say I've been to all the stations, or how long the consists typically are. Been to Patchogue, and Montauk, and Patchogue is just a weird setup
4. Haven't ridden the Port Jeff branch
5. Not familiar with those; I'm a Westchester kinda guy

For my list:
1. I'd put electrification extension as number one: extension to Patchogue on the Montauk; complete Port Jeff and Oyster Bay; Central is in the Capital Plan; Main Line out to Riverhead
2. Although it's mostly talked about as part of TriboroRX, Rockaway Branch reactivation
3. Increased service on the main line past Ronk, including to Greenport
4. Lower Montauk passenger service
5. Infill stations as needed
 #1539764  by rr503

Lemme second electrification. LIRR should be targeting 15-30 min headways on its core network all day; I'd work backwards from there to figure out what infrastructure (if any) would be necessary to provide those service levels.

I think the greatest potential on LIRR (as well as on most other NYC-area rail systems) lies on the operating side, however. Fare integration, operating cost rationalization, stopping pattern simplification, etc, could produce large continuing returns to investment for a relatively low cost. And, of course, there's the evergreen potential of through running :)
 #1539768  by NH2060

H’okay let’s see:

1) Dual mode + coach fleet replacement and expansion depending on how much electrification expansion comes to fruition.

2) More frequencies east of Speonk to Montauk to fill in gaps in service (eastbound on weekends is non existent after 2pm).

3) Electrification to Port Jefferson.

4) New station at Calverton + rebuilt and expanded Riverhead platform.

5) Rebuild the Main Line east of KO with:

a) Electrification, 2nd track and full service to the future East Yaphank station (would like to see Riverhead as the terminus of the electric zone but I don’t think it’s doable right now).

b) Expanded service to Greenport (5-10 + RTs per day) along with track improvements to support 90mph max speeds KO-Riverhead and 60-79mph east of there where possible.
 #1539793  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

With the current pandemic resulting in substantial losses in LIRR ridership along with
MTA financial problems these two current issues MUST be dealt with...

Projects such as the Main Line Third Track are funded and likely safe for the time being.

Mass transportation is NOT designed for "social distancing". There may be a substantial
portion of riders that never return to the system for a variety of reasons.

Working from home may become a permanent option for some no longer requiring commuting.

With gas prices low (oil is currently around $20/barrel) some may choose to "distance"
by driving instead of returning to the LIRR once a sense of normalcy finally returns.

What needs to be done is to insure that the LIRR can get past these present day
problems before future improvements and expansion can be planned...MACTRAXX
 #1539819  by RGlueck

A wish list? Okay! Rebuild the Morris Park roundhouse, replace current passenger fleet with steel coaches. Put both surviving G5's and a certain K4s in running shape and use them daily in as many runs as maintenance permits. Reinstall wyes and turntables, along with water towers and coaling facilities. Those two alone will boost the private sector economies. Have Delaware Lackawanna lease ALCO's to MTA (painted in Tichy or Goodfellow schemes) and run trains using those. Replace all steel platform shelters with ginger-bread trimmed station buildings.
 #1539847  by Pensyfan19

RGlueck wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:38 am A wish list? Okay! Rebuild the Morris Park roundhouse, replace current passenger fleet with steel coaches. Put both surviving G5's and a certain K4s in running shape and use them daily in as many runs as maintenance permits. Reinstall wyes and turntables, along with water towers and coaling facilities. Those two alone will boost the private sector economies. Have Delaware Lackawanna lease ALCO's to MTA (painted in Tichy or Goodfellow schemes) and run trains using those. Replace all steel platform shelters with ginger-bread trimmed station buildings.
You're forgetting the LIRR leasing EMD SD70MACHs from Metra for commuter and freight service! :P

Also the Morris Park roundhouse still exists, its just not used as often or is as large as it used to be. Oyster Bay turntable is being restored, and wyes are still used for Port Jeff.
 #1540006  by MACTRAXX

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:12 am You're missing the point, it's a wish list, not a reality check! :P
Jeff: Thanks for that thought to get out of our current doldrums...

The good news going forward is that the MTA does have reliable funding sources
and being an essential service the LIRR will remain in operation.

The current affairs of the LIRR could be another important topic to discuss that
does not have to be here among future improvements.

The current situation thankfully has not stopped construction of the Third Track
Project - and springtime track work projects around the LIRR such as concrete
tie installation between Jamaica and Valley Stream on the Atlantic Branch...

I would much rather look forward to the future - it is good for all of our minds
right now... :-) MACTRAXX
 #1543169  by Pensyfan19

Is anything coming with the infrastructure stimulus soon? I haven't heard any news about any infrastructure stimulus-supported projects for a while... Is there a certain date on when we will known exactly what will be funded? (I tried checking on the forums and the news and I can't find anything, not counting the additional Hartford line train, the Chicago-St. Paul service, and the New Orleans to Mobile service.)