• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ryanov

eolesen wrote:Actually.... there are contractual requirements for airline crews to be provided a suitable rest area on longer flights, and yes, blocking seats was not uncommon.
And still is. I've seen it on 767s at least in the last 2-3 years (even with signage stitched into the seats). It's somehow different than Amtrak, according to some folks on this forum.

I wouldn't mind seeing this become a permanent/well-delineated thing or number of seats/tables, if for no other reason than it would give my finger a break from scrolling past all of the complaining on this board.
  by BandA

Take a snapshot of the three tables (preferably when the Amtrakers aren't there, or cut them out of the picture), and post it on twitter with the appropriate caption & hashtags & see what happens.
  by markhb

Tadman wrote:
Plate C wrote:Anyhow, while I fully realize the romantic age of rail travel is essentially dead, that's what Amtrak sells. I mean look at the vintage Lakeshore ads they still use on the train and such.
You make a good point. If they are advertising the romance of rail travel and such is tenuous anymore, what are people travelling for and why not advertise that? I'm not sure of the answer, it's worth discussing. I travel for business and pleasure, and I take the train because it's nice to tune out for a while and work in a cabin or big comfy seat. It's also nice not to be dealing with anything airport/airplane, IE security, cramming into coach, the $50 taxi ride on either end of the trip, etc...
It has seemed to me for years that, given that rail is unavoidably slower and more expensive than air for LD trips, Amtrak should be marketing the upgraded experience. Everything you mention except the cab rides and working on the train is pretty universal, and there are also free Wi-Fi, the ability to get up and walk around, until recently freshly cooked meals, and in a sleeper you can do whatever you want with your partner without getting in trouble;) . Sell that to college students and "freedom years" people.
  by R36 Combine Coach

markhb wrote:It has seemed to me for years that, given that rail is unavoidably slower and more expensive than air for LD trips, Amtrak should be marketing the upgraded experience. Everything you mention is pretty universal, and there are also free Wi-Fi, the ability to get up and walk around, until recently freshly cooked meals, and in a sleeper you can do whatever you want with your partner without getting in trouble;) . Sell that to college students and "freedom years" people.
It has indeed worked as a selling point for the Canadian and Mountaineer.
  by andrewjw

gokeefe wrote:Or ... You could send Amtrak an email directly with photos attached if you feel so inclined: http://www.amtrak.com/contact-us/email.html

If that feels insufficient you could also email the Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee to discuss this issue generally: [email protected]

Make sure to send the photos ...
Directly contacting customer service privately is usually much less effective then public shaming...
  by Rockingham Racer

Apparently, as Amtrak is now doing with NS about handling their trains.
  by Mackensen

Don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but a knock-on effect of the reconfigured dining is that Amtrak's being more aggressive about selling space in the transition dorm on the Capitol Limited. I'm aboard 30 (23) and I'd say there's at least a dozen of us back there. My first time in the transdorm. Both lounge cars (Sightseer and diner-lounge) are full and doing good business.
  by gokeefe

andrewjw wrote:Directly contacting customer service privately is usually much less effective then public shaming...
You would be surprised at how well it actually works on the inside, especially if done through the right channels.
  by Maverickstation1

Amtrak has finally updated the Dining Car information page on it's website.

For the LD trains that offer full dining car service the national menu is shown.

For the LD trains that offer a different menu like the Auto Train, Cardinal, and CONO they are listed on their own, as well as the Capital and LSL.

At the least this update takes away the impression that each LD train had their own menus.

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/meals-di ... g-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ken
  by STrRedWolf

Well, this makes a bit of sense, because we have:
  • Commuter trains (Keystone): No diner service.
  • Daylight/short haul trains (ex Pennsylvanian, Acela, NE Regional): Cafe service
  • Overnight trains (AutoTrain, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Lake Shore Limited): Limited kitchen service
  • Long distance (multi-day) trains: Full kitchen service
You can tell where they're doing the boxed meal experiment, by comparing the Cap Limited and Lake Shore Limited with the other overnights.
  by bostontrainguy

I believe this ends the last vestige of the term "First Class" for sleeping car accommodations which was last used as the name of the sleeper menu on the Autotrain. Acela is the only train offering "First Class" now.
  by danib62

When taking the Capitol Limited from CHI to WAS how many meals are included with a sleeper reservation? Do you get dinner when you board, breakfast when you wake up, and lunch before arrival in DC?
  by Tadman

bostontrainguy wrote:I believe this ends the last vestige of the term "First Class" for sleeping car accommodations which was last used as the name of the sleeper menu on the Autotrain. Acela is the only train offering "First Class" now.
Ha quite a few countries offer a “first class” that is literally the second or third tier of service anyway.
  by CarterB

"Ha quite a few countries offer a “first class” that is literally the second or third tier of service anyway."

Not in Europe! First class there truly is and better than anything Amtrak has to offer, including Acela.