Railroad Forums 

• Beesley Secondary - Folsom Siding

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#59931  by glennk419

A couple weeks ago while driving on the 561 Spur between 73 and 322, I noticed a CSX boxcar spotted on the siding where the Beesley crosses 561. There appeared to be a portable loading ramp alongside the car. Is this a recent frequent occurance or was it a chance siting? I've been down that way many times over the years and never saw any activity there in the past.
 #61339  by JJMDiMunno

glennk419 wrote:A couple weeks ago while driving on the 561 Spur between 73 and 322, I noticed a CSX boxcar spotted on the siding where the Beesley crosses 561. There appeared to be a portable loading ramp alongside the car. Is this a recent frequent occurance or was it a chance siting? I've been down that way many times over the years and never saw any activity there in the past.
Yeah, that's the Folsom Team Track...current consignee using that is Atlantic Sweetners, which is in the building across the tracks at this time...they get a car every few weeks or so.

Don't think they have anything down there right now...CA-51 pulled car RBOX 30854 from the spur on October 4th...I think that was the latest delivery to that place...

That siding is JUST north of the BART DCS block limit station...which allows 51 to run down there and serve that place without requiring a form D all the way to some out of the way place like TUCK...they shove the car down there from Winslow (always a big winner for the crew, they don't have a shove car down there, and so riding on the rear for that kind of distance will get you some extra pay)...

Mike DiMunno

#61660  by glennk419

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I'm happy to see any activity down that way, even if it is just an occasional boxcar.

#61894  by SteelWheels21

Mike,
They get PAID for riding cars on a shove? I'm jealous now...we get squat except sore arms out here on Uncle Pete.

#61923  by JJMDiMunno

SteelWheels21 wrote:Mike,
They get PAID for riding cars on a shove? I'm jealous now...we get squat except sore arms out here on Uncle Pete.
Yeah, it has to do with shove moves at a certain distance or more...don't know the exact distance, but could find out without too much trouble...anyway, that's why they have those shove cars all over the place now (Paulsboro, Gibbstown, Pavonia, Millville, Woodbury, Frankford Junction)...no extra pay if the crew member(s) ride on one of those while shoving...

Mike DiMunno

#62048  by SteelWheels21

My first night on the ground the switchman had to ride a shove almost 2 miles to an industry. That's no fun, especially on certain kinds of cars. Loaded bulkhead flat cars with the vertical grab irons are the bane of my existence.