Railroad Forums 

• Freight customer on the AC Racetrack Spur?

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#558408  by JJMDiMunno

Hey guys,
Looking over PRSL interlocking diagrams from 1968, I've noticed that there is noted a freight customer on the Atlantic City Racetrack spur. The customer name is Atlantic Asphalt, and was located on the branch between Hunterdon Ave and Drosera Ave. I'm just wondering, since the line shows on the 1968 interlocking diagram, does that mean that freight trains still utilized a portion of the AC Racetrack spur after 1967, when the racetrack specials ended? I've got two dates here - 1967 for termination of passenger service, and 1974 for a date when they pulled up the tracks. Was this delay due to the freight customer?

Even better - does anyone have a photo of this industry, or a train serving it?

The interlocking diagram:

http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/rail/prr/M ... k/gate.gif

Mike DiMunno
 #558518  by JJMDiMunno

So the question is - when was the LAST train on the AC Racetrack spur? Not the last PASSENGER train, but the last train of any sort? This would obviously have to be between 1967 and 1974.

Consequently, the site of that industry in question (the asphalt company) is now a golf course.

Mike DiMunno
 #559286  by JJMDiMunno

Yeah, I believe they did as well...but the spur in question is actually the AC Racetrack spur, which is entirely different than Lenox China. Lenox's siding still exists for MOW storage for Transit, the Racetrack spur was pulled out entirely in 1974.

Mike DiMunno
 #565929  by JJMDiMunno

PRSL2005 wrote:BTW the block station GATE is at winslow jct and is being used as a radio shack. Its sits next to the Conrail bridge.
Well that sure is interesting information - thanks for that!

Will have to pay attention next time I'm there.

Mike DiMunno