Railroad Forums 

• New book: "Reading Seashore Lines" by Coxey and Kr

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#464685  by louisfols

Reading Seashore Lines by Coxey and Kranefeld put out by West Jersey Chapter NRHS.
Continues on from Atlantic City book, with some recent PRSL content.
Covers AC, Glou, Williamstown and Cape May. with station index.

Not to criticise title, but anyone ever hear the Altantic City RR called Reading Seashore Lines?

#464777  by rrbluesman

I never heard of the 'Reading Seashore Lines,' nor have I heard anyone call it that without Pennsylvania before it. But then I remember when I first got an interest in south Jersey railroading that I had never heard of or seen any reference to the Atlantic City Railroad, the West Jersey Seashore Lines, or the PRSL, but I knew the PRR and the Reading. I think the title refelects that people who have never lived out here have probably never heard of these railroads, just like I had not, but might be familiar with the Reading, so I think the author is using the title to reflect that the seashore lines were subsidiary companies to the Reading, if that makes sense.

#464923  by Nacho66

I disagree.
Anybody who grew up playing Monopoly has definitely heard of the Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines.
That's a lot of people - most of whom think it's pronounced, 'REEDING'.
 #464941  by Steam man

louisfols wrote:Not to criticise title, but anyone ever hear the Altantic City RR called Reading Seashore Lines?
Yea sure. The Reading Company called it's South Jersey operations thier Seashore Lines. Add Reading to it and voila! It might have helped to add "The" in there such as "The Reading Seashore Lines".
The term encompassed the entire ACRR instead of specfic branches of the same. Think of it as a division, like "New York Division" or such.
Last edited by Steam man on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #464943  by Steam man

louisfols wrote:Not to criticise title, but anyone ever hear the Altantic City RR called Reading Seashore Lines?
Also, most of the employees when refering to the railroad would call it "The Seashore Lines", especially the old timers, and I still call it that to this day.
 #464957  by chuchubob

louisfols wrote:
Not to criticise title, but anyone ever hear the Altantic City RR called Reading Seashore Lines?
The book is about the Atlantic City Railroad, the Reading part of PRSL. The Chapter already has a book titled Atlantic City Railroad, hence the creative title.

Subject matter in the new book is different from the subject matter in the previous book.

Information is available on the West Jersey Chapter website.
 #474607  by PRSL2005

chuchubob wrote:
louisfols wrote:
The book is about the Atlantic City Railroad, the Reading part of PRSL. The Chapter already has a book titled Atlantic City Railroad, hence the creative title.

Subject matter in the new book is different from the subject matter in the previous book.

Information is available on the West Jersey Chapter website.

Hey guys look at page 14 in the book. On the top pic of the Chestnut st ferry terminal it says "READING SEASHORE LINES" on the front of the building. Thats were the name is from. Also I have seen PTT with that name from the 20's.