Railroad Forums 

• Mo' goodies

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#349533  by Steam man

Couple goodies I found in my "archives" from the past. Train orders for the northbound Steamtown 127 move from Winslow to Brown when she arrived with support train for trip from Camden to Cape May.

#349626  by mitch kennedy

Great stuff! I remember seeing the southbound counterpart blast thru Magnolia on a weekday in the afternoon with the 4 Steamtown cars. It took us to the Somerdale Rd crossing to just get a glimpse of her markers with my Dad making near 60 down Atlantic Ave in our Rambler wagon. I've heard Al Eldredge tell stories that every official turned their eyes the other way when it came to maximum track speed for these runs. If I recall, I saw 9 PRR and PRSL P-70's added to those Steamtown cars on the revenue run. I'm glad you posted these, tho--I kept thinking it was 1967. Its more long ago than I'd care to remember. It was funny, cause when the train was due back at Haddon Heights on Sunday, the "uneducated" thought the local back from Williamstown Jct (Sunday extra) was the steam train--led by 6022 and 6023-a rare pair these days!
Mitch

#359541  by Steam man

Mitch,
I rode the ferry move from Winslow to Williamstown Jct as well as the trip from Camden to Cape May and return. I don't know who the engineman was on the northbound ferry move, but as you indicated he didn't spare the horses at all. After a fun time trying to back the train up the south leg of Mary's wye with quite a bit of wheel slipping and such, we stopped until we got the signal off #2 connection, then once we cleared the interlocking it was throttle to the roof and we were making track speed (wink,wink) by time we hit Spring Garden Rd grade crossing. Just north of Braddock before the curve there must have been a bit of "misaligned' railroad. I was riding in the open car right behind the tender and had a good view of the tender swaying and bobbing around and was watching the draft gear bouncing up and down when we hit the bad joint or whatever it was. The entire tender, then quickly thereafter the car I was in jumped up and bounced around madly. It startled me a bit, but we never missed a lick and the engine's exhaust was just a steady roar by now. The trip to Cape May and return was just a much fun and I can still remember the dust and debris flying as we slid down the hill northbound from Albion into Clementon . We had to be making 70 per as we cut the crossing at Berlin Rd with the whistle screaming "get out of the way!!" Sorry if I got rambling on.

#359542  by mitch kennedy

Ramble on all you want! I miss those days as a kid when the steamer or a set of Reading RS3's or a glimpse of one of the race trains on a Saturday would blow out all your wires!

#359544  by mitch kennedy

Ramble on all you want! I miss those days as a kid when the steamer or a set of Reading RS3's or a glimpse of one of the race trains on a Saturday would blow out all your wires!