Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #78498  by va3ori

Just wondering if someone can help me with some background on this unit. It is a box on a single B truck with standard couplers. On top of the box is a pair of cylinders and some other paraphernalia (strobe?, etc.). On the side of the unit is the information "220 VOLTS AC WHILE CHARGING" which leads me to believe it is a giant battery on flanged wheels. It is lettered CONRAIL, is in CR blue and the photo I've seen is dated 2002 with a Norfolk Southern locomotive plainly in view in the background.

The assumption I am making is that it is a battery powered shop lug. If someone would please correct my assumption if needs be and give me some history of this critter, I'd really appreciate the effort!

cheers,
Ori
VA3ORI - VA3XW

#78504  by LCJ

One evening* as I was in the Enola "brick office," manning the trainmaster desk, I answered a phone call from an irate local resident who was highly perturbed by the constant noise eminating from the shop area. At the time, I had no idea what he was complaining about. He just went on and on about the "beeping" sound that went on all around the clock.

I told him I would check it out and call him back with some kind of an answer. He just said, "Never mind -- that's what the last guy said when I called!" and he hung up on me.

Further investigation revealed that it was the animal you are describing, Ori, shuffling equipment around the Enola Diesel Shop. Your question makes me wonder about the fate of the poor fellow who lived up on the hill overlooking the yard.

I have no idea when this contraption originated. I was there in 1987. My guess would be, though, that it was a Conrail-era invention, and not PRR or PC.
* Speaking of evenings reminds me of the night trainmaster who was out standing by the track as an office car train went through his yard. An "executive," obviously upset about something beyond the control of the trainmaster, leaned out and yelled, "I'll have your job for this!"

The trainmaster, not skipping a beat, retorted, "Yeah, well, you'll work nights!"
 #79280  by ChiefTroll

I don't remember ever seeing the machine in Enola, but I do remember an article in the NYC Headlight around 1959. It related how the Niles (MI) diesel shop built a battery-powered unit for pulling diesels in and out of the roundhouse and onto the turntable. It was built up on an AAR switcher truck with battery boxes on top. It was short enough that it could share the turntable with its client. Might be the same one, or one such as it.

#79409  by va3ori

Thanks for all commentary! We now know that it dates back at least to 1986 but that's about all the information that has so far surfaced!

Thanks, Chief Troll, for the information about the Niles, MI shunter. Could it be possible that this unit migrated to hostile (ex-PRR) territory? I don't think this is the same one because it appears to be a more recent design (just speculation on my part) and I think the truck postdates 1959. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And Scot, many thanks for the links! The CR photo is in fact the one that I saw elsewhere. The other two are just great and I've saved them in my railroad photo file.

If anyone has more information on the CR critter at Enola, please let us know.

cheers,
Ori
va3ori - va3xw

#79412  by LCJ

va3ori wrote:I think the truck postdates 1959. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Actually, Ori, I think it's a standard EMD Blomberg design truck like the ones that were under the FTs in 1939.

#79435  by Hoosier Joe

I read a story in RAILROAD MAGAZINE that the one in Niles was built around 1940.
 #79766  by ChiefTroll

I'm certain that the Niles shop motor was not built on a Blomberg truck. I think I remember it being an AAR Type B truck, but I was only 15 when I read the article and some the distinctions might have gotten past me.

The gallery of photos shows that a good idea will spread fast. Once someone built one and used it, it was not a terribly difficult project for any well-equipped diesel shop. I don't know that the Niles machine was the first anywhere, either.

And put away that idea of "hostile" NYC or PRR territory. It didn't take long for the Penn Central mechanical and engineering people to get so deep into the swamp that they didn't have time for that stuff. They used what they had, regardless of how it was painted.

#79854  by va3ori

Thanks, LCJ, you are quite right. For some reason I thought I saw some more contemporary modifications on the truck which led me to believe that it was a newer version. However, on re-examination, it is simply an ordinary, run-of-the-mill Blomberg. Unfortunately, this just obscures the origins even more! Still searching...

cheers,
Ori
va3ori - va3xw

#85103  by Schuylkill Valley

Hi all,
I found this story in a old Railroad Magazine from the date Sept. 1953.

The Mighty Midget is the NX-5, which was conceived and built by the New York Centrallers Paul Zielinski and Lou Raether at the road`s Niles, Mich. Shops. Designed to switch switchers into and out of work pits, push-button doodlebug has increased shop efficiency by ten percent.

The doodlebug is a mighty midget. It consists essentially of a four- wheel truck from an old RA electric locomotive. Zielinski and Raether fashioned battery boxes on each end, installed standard diesel storage batteries inside and rigged up threespeed pushbutton controls. They also built in a gearshift to give the midget forward and reverse operation.

So there you have it .

Leonard
 #86614  by PRRN5c

Regarding the original posting about the Enola Critter. There were originally 4 of these like the one seen at Enola. They were built by the New York Ceentral and they were handed down over the years to the PC, CR and finally to the NS. I believe one is based at Altoona and another at Enola. One was also based at Selkirk yds but transferred to Conway. More on that one later. Not sure if the 4th is still around or not.

These were constructed mainly from a Bloomburg truck. Most likely fro an old F unit or first generation Geep. Most of the normal brake systems were removed as you can see the cylinders etc were removed. A simple braking system has been added. It works of a single lung pump located in the center access door. An air line runs to the bottom and between the 2 wheelsets is a brake assembly. Each of the 4 corner cabinets contain locomotive batteries which run the traction motors. I believe there is 16 cells per battery, 64 total. It can be operated by a remote tether or by the small control box on the one porch. Common forwrd and reverer loco electrical contactors and relays make it all work.

Getting back to the one that worked Conway. Over the years locomotives kept getting larger and larger and heavier and heavier. The turntable at Conway has a slight down slope into the roundhouse. The litle "critter" or more correctly reffered to as "The Bug" could no longer supply enough braking power when moving these new locos in and out of the enginehouse and off and on the turntable. Conrail set it aside and went back to using switchers.

Our railway historical society inquired about its future and possible donation to the chapter. That is where it resides to this day. We have owned it forseveral years now. It sees service most every day in a small railcar repair shop in western Pa. The batteries are charged everynight and is ready to come alive the following morning. It is a bit tempermental and surely could use a good electritian to look it over, but it plugs away as is. I can post a pic of it once I find the right file name.........GM

PS: OK, I found the file that contains the photo of the Bug. It can be seen here:

http://www.angelfire.com/film/prrpics/bug.html

Enoy the model as well......

#131908  by ANDY117

I think there were more, as Metro north had a bunch that used type B trucks. ANyone know if these were from a seperate project?