Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #988150  by CarterB

In the days when the PRR and NYNH&H ran through night sleeper trains, and even a bit into Amtrak, many sleepers were 'set out' for early boarding, late disembarking at Penn Station. Where did they usually "park" these sleepers? Where would PV cars be placed today?
 #988181  by Ocala Mike

No special knowledge, so here are 3 guesses:

1. West Side Yard.

2. Sunnyside Yard.

3. There were tracks that didn't platform, I believe, that could have been used for temporary storage.
 #996233  by MACTRAXX

CB: When Amtrak had Executive Sleeper service back in the 80s I recall that they used track 5 in NYP to spot the sleeping car used and that it was available after 9pm...
That car would be switched on to Amtrak 67 to WAS during its overnight stop...I also recall that the extreme E ends of tracks 1-2-3-4 were once used to spot cars...
MACTRAXX
 #996282  by CarterB

Since tracks 1-5 are "west facing" switches. What would have been the movement/s of trains and set-out cars to either drop off or add ...for trains going East or West?
 #1007152  by ThirdRail7

CarterB wrote:Since tracks 1-5 are "west facing" switches. What would have been the movement/s of trains and set-out cars to either drop off or add ...for trains going East or West?

I can only answer the question from 1991-1996 when Amtrak used the Executive Sleeper. The YN-6 handled this move (and the AM Montrealer.)

867 used to platform on the west end of 10 track. When 66 came in, the crew would come behind it with a motor and pluck it off 866 and swing it to the block of 5 track.

Then, we'd wait for 67. When it arrived, we come behind 867 and put it on the rear of 67.

It was as simple as that. :)