Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #155044  by urrengr2003

The carrier used two types of Dwarf Signals; one with the curved side toward the left & one with the curved side toward the right. Either of these with four lamps is capable of displaying the same four aspects. Either type was placed immediately to the right of the track it governed. Is there a PRR C&S man reading these posts that can explain the reason behind the two types of Dwarf Signals?

#161179  by jayrmli

On the LIRR these signals are called low home signals. Does anyone know if this was a carryover term from the Pennsy days, or something LIRR created on their own?

Jay
 #169059  by Statkowski

A home signal marks the entrance to a block. Technically, it can be either an interlocking or an automatic signal. Since most home signals are "high", the "dwarf" version is therefore "low".

The term "low home signal" was not unique to the LIRR since the term was applicable on a nationwide basis. Did the LIRR pick up the term from the PRR? Most likely.

Just to confuse the issue, on the nearby New Haven, low home signals were referred to as "Jacks".
 #169174  by JimBoylan

In "We Had a Shore Fast L:ine", the author M. Borguinis [sp?] tells of an Atlantic City & Shore RR employee who was mislead by PRR or P-RSL employees and told the rules examiner that it was a "pot" signal.
AC&S operated over a part of the P-RSL, formerly PRR that had PRR signals.

#169451  by jayrmli

I've heard them called pot signals as well.

Just a clarification (at least on the LIRR), a home signal can not be an automatic signal. On the LIRR, this is the definition of a Home Signal:

A fixed signal which displays stop as its most restrictive aspect and governs the entrance to a route or block.

The most restrictive signal on an automatic signal is a Stop-and-Proceed.

Jay

#173110  by Steam man

We called them pot signals,which may have not been the official or approved name,but that's what I was taught and always called them. Also the only thing we ever called a "home signal" was the first signal that controlled entrance to an interlocking. And unless my memory fails me,I think the most restrictive signal we had was the stop and stay,which required a train order from the dispatcher to pass. We were governed by the regular PRR (later PC) Book of Rules and this was standard operating proceedure for trains drilling the Williamstown Jct. (NJ) industrial area on the PRSL Clementon Branch.