Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#67419  by TerryC

When the Penn Central inherited its SD40's from the Pennsylvania Railroad did they paint out the Keystones and slap on the Mating Worms? Did any SD40's get a special paint scheme?

http://pc.smellycat.com/pics/equip/pc6266.jpg
eep asking keep learning
http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/ Still missing in action 11-12-04
HONOR ALL VETERANS OF ALL WARS.
Last edited by TerryC on Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

#67425  by LCJ

PRR and NYC prepared for the eventual merger of their respective rosters by making it easy/inexpensive to convert. PRR keystones were painted over and PC vinyl stickers were slapped on.
Last edited by LCJ on Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

#67595  by Otto Vondrak

The treatment for SD40's was no different that any of the other engines in Penn Central's fleet. Locomotives were renumbered before 1968 in anticipation of the merger.

Initially, some just had vinyl decals applied. I dont know what the policy was for repainting engines, but I assume that engines that went through the shops for major work or overhaul were also repainted at that time.

-otto-

#67604  by LCJ

Otto Vondrak wrote:The treatment for SD40's was no different that any of the other engines in Penn Central's fleet. Locomotives were renumbered before 1968 in anticipation of the merger.
This is true.

I imagine there was plenty of DGLE (PRR) and black (NYC) paint left over after merger that had to be used up. They looked so much alike it hardly mattered.

Many Central hood units had white stripes along the bottom of the running boards that had to be covered up, as well as the logos under the windows where PC units had road numbers.

PC lettering and logos. though, were all done with vinyl stickers, I believe. I remember watching them being applied at Selkirk on repaints.

#75526  by SRS125

if you go to the Conrailcyclopeda there are pics of PC SD40 units with the PRR Key Stone bleeding back threw.

#75587  by LCJ

Nice looking unit. Brings back memories....

#75767  by Dieter

Just goes to show you that all good things come back!

I wonder if anyone has a stash of vinyl stickers for the three roads? Ever see any for sale at a train show?

Dieter.

#75847  by SRS125

I had seen 2 Full size Conrail Locomotive decails the rolling wheels logo and Conrail letters on E-Bay back in April the auction went for well over $500.00 some guy listed them after he baught a retired Conrail Caboose.

#153510  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

Re: the photo of 6266 at the top fo this thread, that is one of the later batch of SD40s built new for PC. That one never wore PRR paint.

#160304  by Andyt293

So did the PC end up using a particular type of paint that was different from the predecessor roads or did they choose one or the other of the PRR or NYC paints?