Railroad Forums 

• Blue Light - end of train device

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1045508  by bostonrailfan

I found this light one day and i am not sure what it is used for or what it is meant for, the following file is a picture of the device in question. If anyone could please help me figure it out it would be great, thank you
Attachments:
Snapshot_20120513.JPG
Snapshot_20120513.JPG (35.27 KiB) Viewed 5045 times
 #1045513  by DutchRailnut

its not end of train device, but a blue light for MofE, Blue lights are attached when people are working under/on/between equipment.
and signify do not move train, or do anything that could cause it to roll.
 #1045636  by bostonrailfan

DutchRailnut wrote:its not end of train device, but a blue light for MofE, Blue lights are attached when people are working under/on/between equipment.
and signify do not move train, or do anything that could cause it to roll.
okay i didnt think it was an end of train device, but more as a blue flag protection device, which from what you told me is exactly what it is if i am correct. how does it get recharged, or how long does the charge last? i have looked it up on line but only found that it lasts 10 weeks, but it didnt say much of anything else
 #1045727  by MEC407

I think most railroads use lantern batteries, which are disposable. You just put in a new battery when the old one dies. Probably not the most environmentally-friendly approach (especially since the dead batteries often end up tossed on the side of the ROW), but that's how they've been doing it for years and old habits aren't easily changed.
 #1045811  by bostonrailfan

MEC407 wrote:I think most railroads use lantern batteries, which are disposable. You just put in a new battery when the old one dies. Probably not the most environmentally-friendly approach (especially since the dead batteries often end up tossed on the side of the ROW), but that's how they've been doing it for years and old habits aren't easily changed.
okay well i have tried to figure out how to open it to see the battery but it looks like i am going to need a vice grip to untwist the cap, thank you again for your help, i wasnt sure what the main purpose of this light was for but you have answered it and how to change the battery. Thank you again
 #1051324  by CSX Conductor

bostonrailfan wrote: okay well i have tried to figure out how to open it to see the battery but it looks like i am going to need a vice grip to untwist the cap, thank you again for your help,
Twist is below the light assembly. It will take a 6volt battery. If you're unsuccessful, return it to it's rightful owner.

I'd love to hear where you "found it".
 #1061216  by GSC

I have one that simply takes a special-head screwdriver. A quarter turn and it opens. The lid might be hard to open after unlocking, as the weather seals are pretty good.

Blue wouid mean - do not move or couple to - as someone is under or around the equipment. Whoever is the one posting a blue flag or lamp is the one who has to take it down - for obvious reasons, so no one else can accidently cause injury or worse to someone still working there.
 #1071475  by jr145

CSX Conductor wrote:

Yeah.... blue flags don't tend to wander to areas where you could just find it laying somewhere.
 #1075023  by bostonrailfan

CSX Conductor wrote:
bostonrailfan wrote: okay well i have tried to figure out how to open it to see the battery but it looks like i am going to need a vice grip to untwist the cap, thank you again for your help,
Twist is below the light assembly. It will take a 6volt battery. If you're unsuccessful, return it to it's rightful owner.

i found it over by the norwood central station on some abandonded tracks that are fenced off it looked like it was just mostly thrown rather then placed there for protection. there was no sign with the device as there is normally, the device looked more abandoned then anything
 #1077187  by John_Perkowski

jr145 wrote:There isn't always a sign. Anything blue can be a blue flag.
Please cite that in a Book of Rules...
 #1077233  by jr145

Let me rephrase, If I see something blue tied or attached to the control stand or a switch stand I'm not touching it until I verify that it's not being used as a blue flag.
 #1077654  by bostonrailfan

jr145 wrote:Let me rephrase, If I see something blue tied or attached to the control stand or a switch stand I'm not touching it until I verify that it's not being used as a blue flag.
well this was not even turned on as it was at dusk out, and like i had said it looked more thrown there then placed there for protection, meaning on its side light off and almost in the brush where it could barely be seen by anyone if they werent really looking. the only reason why i found it was because i was taking a video of the abandoned tracks at the norwood central station, if the device was placed there by the person who put it there, believe me i would not have taken it as it is cleared stated in the N.O.R.A.C. rules handbook but like i said, this looked more abandoned then placed there.