Railroad Forums 

• running rearward with AAR control stand ...

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#975615  by .Taurus.

Hello everybody !

I thought the adavantage of the standard AAR control stand is, that the engineer can rotate his seat and run the engine rearward while sitting forward.
(In a engine with desktop controlls, the engineer sits with his back in driving direction while reversing; and have to look over his shoulder or through the mirrors.)

Now check this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4vreCF4Px4

A GP20 runs light and long hood forward (rearward) and the engineer faces forward to the short hood end and looks through the side-mirrors.

My question: Is it possible to rotate the engineer seat in a cab with standard AAR controls in order to look in driving direction while reversing ?

Best regards :)
 #976237  by Jtgshu

of course it depends on the seats that are installed on the loco, but most will turn all the way around. However, when the seat is turned all the way around, and its high seatback facing the controls, the engineer really can't reach the controls! haha

Most times, what I do when running LHF (long hood forward) is just leave the seat where it is, and just sit sideways in the seat, with the seatback against my left side, and my back against the side cab wall. or else i might turn the seat sideways so its back is against the side wall.

As wierd as it may sound, you can see better out of the side mirror. You can see more railroad closer to the engine,than you can when you look right out the back window.
 #982063  by Desertdweller

Jtshu is right, but the current rules used in the Midwest call for the use of mirrors for reverse moves only in units with desktop controls. You can see better with the mirror because it sits farther from the side of the cab than does the engineer's head.

I would usually (with AAR control stand), sit facing the opposite side of the cab and run looking over my left shoulder. Yes, you get a stiff neck!

One of the problems is, you can't see where you are going and see your speedometer at the same time. At night, you can often see the speedo reflected in the glass of the cab door. Late-model GE units have an option for a back wall auxiliary speedometer so you can watch your speed and the road at the same time. This only works if you have the electronic control stand based on the AAR design.

I would not attempt to run a desktop-equipped unit for any distance in a road move by looking in the mirror. This only works in switching (but you have to be able to see the ground below the cab to judge your speed). You have the obligation to refuse to do anything you feel is inherently unsafe. I would hate to have to explain why I hit a vehicle at a crossing while facing away from the direction of travel. CYA!

Les
 #992046  by kevin.brackney

I concurr with all the above comments/recommendations except for looking over the shoulder for exactly the reason given: Stiff neck. I will run in open territory using my side mirror (if equipped); changing over to operating "sidesaddle" when approaching a crossing for better peripheral vision on my side of the cab; since most of my running time is at night, I can see approaching headlights from either direction. In any case I never operate over crossings using my mirrors. Plus I work with good conductors that will tell me of anything approaching from my blindside of the long hood. It's true that you can see more of the track directly in front of the long hood using the mirror, owing to its periscope effect.