Railroad Forums 

• Aluminium Coal Cars and Stainless Steel

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#953531  by sarocha

Hello!!

I am new to the forum, and researching a bit between major and minor differences between aluminium coal cars and stainless steel, I work for a major project as the rail project manager and we are buying for the expansion around 260 coal cars, so the discussion started when I realize aluminium cars are cheaper than stainless steel.

We've been using SS for the past 15 years, same design-bottom dump discharge-, same manufacturer-FCA-, and with them we did some studies to check if the coal we mine is suitable for the AL use, so far is good, but operations are worried about the change, and so I am since I will be responsible for the whole thing, I used to be the maintenance supervisor before I was promoted to the project, so I know how to deal with the cars, no experience yet with AL.
Got to say our cars -not sure today- they used to be the bigger and the ones with the thoughest cycles -carry 110tons and unload twice a day-.

Would like to have all the experienced people here telling me their experiences regarding maintainability, operability, reliability and all related to a mixed fleet.

Any advice or comments from all of you would be very appreciate it

Thanks!

Silvana
 #953758  by John_Perkowski

Silvana,

Welcome to the Forums. I am going to put you in touch with Ms Nelly Bly ... a nom de guerre for a transportation planning professional. She should help lots.
 #954177  by sarocha

Thanks John!

To all, we are buying around 255 coal cars, 5 platforms, 15 ballast cars, 3 side dumps, MOW Equipment (Ballast regulator, Rail Grinder, Ballast Cleaner, Tamper, Ballast Stabilizer, Switch Cleaner), Freight Support Equipment (Wheel lathe, Turning table, Drop Table, Trackmobile) etc - we want all NEW equipment - please send me information if you got it available, we need to have technical specs for this equipment.

It's a private coal operation, that covers tangent and flat area of about 152Km from the Mine to the Port, cars are loaded from the silo and unloaded at a train unloading station, all are hopper cars, bottom discharge, 5 doors, today all are stainless steel, but we are open to new desings and materials (aluminium) without changing much into the operation or infrastructure, we follow AAR Standars and AREMA. Max speed is 70Km/hr. Train cycle is about 12hours, so that will make our operation a very very heavy duty one for the coal cars, being loaded and unloaded twice a day. Standard gage. GRL 315,000lbs.

Any more information for you guys to help me out, let me know!

I've found the forum an amazing place to learn and to meet more people from the industry

Thanks

Silvana