Railroad Forums 

• Ukrainian Railroad Tie Plate and Bolt Assembly

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1199474  by scharnhorst

I Took this photo of a tie plate and bolt assembly used on Concrete Railroad ties in Kherson, Ukraine I know almost nothing about this kind of set up used other than Concrete ties are popular in some country's. But is the type of clamp or bolt assembly somewhat standard in Europe and in North America or are they all different from country to country?
Attachments:
(118.55 KiB) Downloaded 2884 times
 #1199595  by Allen Hazen

I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area, but... I don't think I've ever seen that sort of arrangement (looks like one bolt to anchor the tie plate to the tie, and another to anchor the rail to the tie plate). I think most European (& British) railways have the rail anchored to the tie (tie plate) with Pandrol-style clips: a steel curlicue which can be installed with a hammer blow, and so doesn't need bolt tightening as this would.

But I'm sure other people know more about this.
 #1203805  by bengt

scharnhorst wrote:I Took this photo of a tie plate and bolt assembly used on Concrete Railroad ties in Kherson, Ukraine I know almost nothing about this kind of set up used other than Concrete ties are popular in some country's. But is the type of clamp or bolt assembly somewhat standard in Europe and in North America or are they all different from country to country?
It is a german type K rail fastener and still common in Germany. They were introduced about 100 years ago and are widely used in eastern Europe. They were tested in Sweden in the 1920ies but was rejected as it contained to much pices and needed frequent tension of the nuts. However the are in use in Sweden for switches.
 #1203838  by scharnhorst

Intresting. These were in use on a rail sideing / branch line going into the Kherson Port athority. I'll have to see what they are useing on the main lines when I go back there next year.