Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#720615  by Bob Sandusky

I was driving south, yesterday, on I-787 and saw at a distance a Lightening Stripe working Kenwood Yard.

The problem was I couldn't identify it at that distance because it didn't have it's number painted on it's left side. I thought they did. Am I wrong or can anybody identify this unit? I'm going to try and go past again today.
 #722167  by Bob Sandusky

Sorry guys had a brain cramp.

I remembered when the numbers were painted on the side in big bold numbers. Now they just paint them in skinny little yellow numbers you can't see from a distance.

It's 7303 doing the work.
 #722391  by march hare

Don't think the guys inCalgary who did that one had seen a proper lightning stripe unit, done up the way Nature intended.

Not bad, though, for an improv job.
 #742083  by Engineer Spike

D&H had many experimental schemes, and versions of the lightning stripe scheme. There for is makes no sense for everyone to be critical of the paint, just because it was done after the CP take over.
Like I posted before, old timers say real D&H diesel engines were black and yellow anyway.
You all make such a big deal over this engine. The paint is getting pretty faded, and this is about the most gutless locomotive that I know of.