Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#421546  by lakeshoredave

None anymore....that route is abandoned.

#421791  by Noel Weaver

lakeshoredave wrote:None anymore....that route is abandoned.
Are you saying that the former Delaware and Hudson no longer serves
the Northeastern Industrial Park in Guilderland Center? This line was
restored to service a few years ago to serve this area but I have not
been there in a couple of years. I will check it out next month.
Noel Weaver

#421916  by BobLI

I passed over that line last week and it looked like the tracks were shiny and the ROW is clean, no weeds, etc. Sometimes it looks a bit rusty but that could be due to the weather, tracks do rust up quick if a train hasnt passed in a day or so.

#422823  by brward

I was up at the Coles Road crossing not to long ago and had noticed wheel flange cuts in the dirt on the Albany main. Looking up the tracks towards Altamont, the weeds are growing. Seems to me a MOW vehicle or they might of backed a car on it when switching. The ROW doesn't look used. Far as I know its abandoned. Does anyone have some relevant info?
-Brian

#429096  by D&H7312

Former Albany Main, now the Voorheesville Running Track sees once a week service to the NE Indust. Park, scheduled for Thursdays, but subject to change. A lease of the line to SMS Rail Services is still pending.

#430172  by alzubal

I don"t think a train has used the runner since the snow storm in February.
al

#456384  by CREngineer

There is an STB notice filed that the former Albany Main will be leased to the SMS company later this month between Voorheesville and DJ.
 #456843  by Bob Sandusky

but it seems to me I've seen at least one freight on those tracks near Delanson in the last 6 months. And I'm sure that I've seen at least one train on the bridge over Rte 20 by the old 84 Lumber yard in that time period.

Could it be possible that it is only used occassionally to route a train around ROW work of a problem?

#456855  by Mem160_2000

I may be wrong, but I don't believe the Albany Main goes over Route 20.

-Mark
 #457094  by march hare

Bob:

That overpass over Rte 20 at 84 Lumber is not the same line we're talking about here--not even the same railroad.

The two bridges you see over Rte 20 are the CSX "Selkirk Branch", which is actually the main line for freights from Chicago, Buffalo, etc to the east coast. All CSX mainline traffic to New Jersey or New Enbland, except for the Amtrak passenger trains, passes here.

The D&H line in question diverges at Cole Road, the east end of the village of Delanson, about a mile south of Route 20, then heads southeast towards Voorheesville. Crosses under NY Route 7 about a mile east of Duanesburg.

This line will look a lot more heavily used at Cole Road than it will farther down the line. It's frequently used right at Cole Road for stashing MW equipment, so the first 20 car lengths see use pretty often. Beyond that, it's "as needed" down to Voorheesville, and that ain't needed very often.
 #457166  by Bob Sandusky

the trains over Rte 20 which I didn't realize the lines didn't connect but I do live less than 6 miles form Delanson so I a m familiar with the tracks near there.

#465080  by D&HFan

That line has been leased to SMS, you will see changes.

#465380  by BobLI

When will SMS start service and how many trains do they expect to run on that line daily?

And is there room in Delanson for an interchange yard?

#465381  by D&HFan

I know it took place as of 10/19 and they will be using the line all the way to Delanson, but I dont know anymore yet.