Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#304412  by BobLI

Listening to the scanner I haerd the detector near Cobleskill giving its mile post at 301. Where does the zero milage start on the D&H? In PA or at the canadian border? I allways thought that traffic would be east or west bound on that line but they are called north and southbound.
 #304850  by march hare

Are you sure you were hearing this on the D&H frequency?

I ask because of two issues:

1) There aren't any detectors on the D&H near Cobleskill. At least not ones that you can hear in town, typically.

2) The milepost location is out of whack. The nearest detectors are at MP 528 (Brooker Hollow Road, between East Worcester and West Richmondville) and MP 503 (NY Route 30, Esperance station). Cobleskill's MP is somewhere around 517.

Mileposts on the D&H were renumbered during the dark ages of Guilford ownership, based on MP 0 at the east end of the Maine Central, near Mattawamkeag, Maine. Thus, MP 301 would be on the B&M in eastern/central Massachusetts somewhere.

Possible explanations:

A) what you heard was a D&H axle count (possible, but odd numbers of axles are relatively unusual) I suppose an intermodal train with some of those weird articulated well cars might be an odd number.

B) You picked up a Guilford detector on a skip (unlikely again--Guilford's dispatcher line is super strong, easily picked up in Coby when the atmosphere's just right, but a detector transmission that far would be seriously weird)

C) It was a CSX detector (again unlikely, MP 301 on CSXs Water Level Route would be a bit west of Syracuse)

Anybody have other ideas?

#305361  by BobLI

March Hare,
Hi neighbor.

I'm sure its a D&H detector because I heard the train running through Central Bridge. Then a few minutes later it announced D & H detector mile xxx. Southbound train, temperature xx degrees, axle countxxx, no defects, have a safe day.

My daughter thought that was the funny part, a machine telling the crew to have a safe day.

Ill Listen to the scanner and try to get the frequency # when it locks on it.
I only have a small antenna on the scanner on top of the hill here.

BTW., hows the caboose coming along?

#305560  by ANDY117

[grabs CP Timetable]

That's the detector at MP 505.30. The channel is 161.100 (161.475 south of Central Bridge).

And according to my friend who runs trains up there, some detectors are kinda screwy. One in particular in Bainbridge (MP 583.10) gave him a 5 page defect report!

#306647  by BobLI

Yes you are correct, it is the detector at Esperance , milepost 503. Thanks for all the replies.