Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#681  by mike38-2

Figured Id start this thread again as I found the previous one interesting :D

#1292  by caboose

Just wondering;who owns the mine land?
 #1752  by buffalomantahawus

The mine is still owned by N L industries, although thet have sold about eight thousand acres to the Open Space institute. Buffaloman

#21102  by cjvrr

Could the caretaker of the NL Industries facility there please email me. I have a question / request for you.

Thank you

Chris Vitz
[email protected]

#133539  by Trackmobile

I thought the APA wanted to remove the tracks leading to Tahawus? Is the line still open or is it too full of weeds and over grown trees? Does anyone have any pictures of the line? -Thanks
 #135327  by b&m617

Steve-
are the tracks being torn up in the near future?? I understand that a few companies looked at it for scrap/salvage value. Would like to talk to you, please email me, [email protected]. Thanks!!

Charlie :P

#149703  by Buffaloman

Status on tracks from North Creek to Tahawus: To the best of my knowledge, Warren County is to purchase the first five miles of track from North Creek to North River. Barton Mines is supposed to purchase approx. two miles of track north of that. The rest of the track to Tahawus was to be removed for salvage. Open Space Institute has purchased the right of way under the tracks from Barton Mines to Tahawus for, undoubtedly, a rails to trails and snowmobiling. The bid actually was awarded and then along came the APA. End of story for now...
The story will continue next year. The APA evidently wants to see the total subdivision plan on the 9000 acres that OSI purchased from NLI before giving any approvals on the rail road.
The sinter plant has been demolished, and demolition of the dry mill has been started. Security has been beefed up and will start on weekends as well as during the week. After all, it is the tourist season.
I will try to answer any questions anyone has about the Tahawus site on this thread.
I will not answer the "wraping (sic) of NL" thread, as I feel the "Dukes" owes me an apology for his comments on that thread. Anything I have from the NL site has been duly purchased and not just "taken".
Buffaloman

#149788  by Trackmobile

As I stated on the other thread,I thought NLI owns the tracks leading to the mine;or did they sell them to the OSI?

#152162  by Buffaloman

NL still owns the tracks.
Buffaloman

#159315  by Adirondack_Ghost

i am very interested in Tahawus and was sad to see it go. What is the timetable of the demolition looking like? Will it be done by the end of summer? Also, buffaloman, could you contact me about some pics of the place. i would be very interested in seeing any photos you have.

Anyways.
Ghost

#160718  by Buffaloman

Demolition is slated to be finished by the end of next June. Presently they are working on the dry mill.
I am not a camera buff, but the Newcomb Historical Society has great pictures from the mine's operating days which we have donated to them.
There probably also are some in the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake.
Buffaloman

#166131  by soboyle

For those interested I have a lot of photos taken at the Tahawus site (before it was posted last year).
I went by this weekend (couldn't miss the Teddy Roosevelt weekend festivities in Newcomb), and was shocked to see they were tearing it down. What a shame, anyone know why they are knocking down all the buildings?

http://www.oboylephoto.com/mine

#166231  by Trackmobile

does anyone know what happened to the caretaker of the mine? was his position terminated years ago? it is a shame that they are tearing down the mine.....another piece of D&H history gone. :(

#170108  by tahawus84

Anyone know what they are doing with that old wooden snow plow? I hope it would somehomw be saved.

#170251  by Buffaloman

As of this time the caretake is alive and well. Have been very busy shipping out iron ore and stone and watching over the demolition.
I purchased the snowplow several years ago, but have not had any success in getting it moved to my farm. However, I do plan on restoring it; and have to get it moved out by next summer.
Buffaloman