Railroad Forums 

• GE Transportation debuts new TV commercial

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1031778  by MEC407

GE released a new TV commercial today, focusing on their Transportation division. You can watch it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-lRzH-qxoc
 #1031836  by Jtgshu

Cool commercial! I love how over the past about 10 years, there are so many commercials and various forms of exposure to get railroading back and expose it to so many "every day people" - and GE is certainly a leader with all their commercials!

Although the first thing that entered my head is is this a shot at EMD/Progress/CAT? IMO it is, and a huge success....

Especially the welder and his comment "I can tell my weld apart from anybody's"...."they don't go together by themselves - there are a lot of little parts and everyone has their job"

Just showing that their employees are proud of their work shows 1) experience and 2) dedication and 3) knowledge....that (in theory) means chances are they are going to produce a good product, as it represents them and their work. Something that suddenly seems to be missing from EMD, after closing London the way they did, loosing that entire experienced workforce, and having job fairs and paying relative peanuts for workers in Muncie.

Showing them trackside watching their work go by, which just happens to be a locomotive, really hammers that home.

Bravo GE, Bravo
 #1033390  by E-44

Jtgshu wrote:Cool commercial! I love how over the past about 10 years, there are so many commercials and various forms of exposure to get railroading back and expose it to so many "every day people" - and GE is certainly a leader with all their commercials!

Although the first thing that entered my head is is this a shot at EMD/Progress/CAT? IMO it is, and a huge success....

Especially the welder and his comment "I can tell my weld apart from anybody's"...."they don't go together by themselves - there are a lot of little parts and everyone has their job"

Just showing that their employees are proud of their work shows 1) experience and 2) dedication and 3) knowledge....that (in theory) means chances are they are going to produce a good product, as it represents them and their work. Something that suddenly seems to be missing from EMD, after closing London the way they did, loosing that entire experienced workforce, and having job fairs and paying relative peanuts for workers in Muncie.

Showing them trackside watching their work go by, which just happens to be a locomotive, really hammers that home.

Bravo GE, Bravo
But, all things considered, you'd still rather be running one of your beloved geeps, right? " :-)
 #1033433  by Jtgshu

E-44 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Cool commercial! I love how over the past about 10 years, there are so many commercials and various forms of exposure to get railroading back and expose it to so many "every day people" - and GE is certainly a leader with all their commercials!

Bravo GE, Bravo
But, all things considered, you'd still rather be running one of your beloved geeps, right? " :-)
well yea, that a given! But I do like the P40s - now that im learning their quirks.....too bad I don't get to play with them more often :(

Geep > P40 > PL42
 #1044170  by Jeff Smith

Starting this here, but moving over to GE forum.

Nice write-up on filming a GE Evolution diesel freight on a scenic stretch of the Columbia River Gorge in Washington.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/may/ ... its-locom/
When General Electric wanted to put its work on display, the showcase included a stretch of the Columbia River Gorge a few miles east of Washougal.

Cape Horn was where America’s sixth-largest corporation got its money shot in a nationally televised commercial starring eight employees of GE Transportation and a BNSF Railway locomotive they built.

The one-minute commercial is part of the “GE Works” series, in which employees see the real-world results of their labor.

BNSF Railway provided the eastbound freight train for the commercial, and also suggested the Columbia River Gorge as a possible location.

“We also sent photos of Glacier and Stevens Pass,” said BNSF spokesman Gus Melonas. “When they saw the Gorge, they were sold because of the variety of the terrain: from the basalt cliffs, waterfalls and evergreens to the flat terrain east of White Salmon.