Railroad Forums 

• Evolution Series Advertisment

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#21256  by Gilbert B Norman

A full page ad appears today for the Evolution Series locomotive appears today in the New York Times.

The ad copy states "run this (photo of the locomotive) for eighteen months"

"SAVE This (photo of a railroad tank car)".

Likely the ad will be circulated in other major business newspapers (not in Today's Wall Street Journal), although not necessarily today.

Here you go:
http://www.ge.com/images/nu/company/com ... lution.jpg
 #22056  by Allen Hazen

Since I don't see the (paper) version of the New York Times regularly, I wouldn't have seen that ad if you hadn't posted it.
Nice to see that a certain large jet-engine company occasionally admits in public that it makes locomotives, too (Grin).
 #22984  by Gilbert B Norman

I would say, Mr. Hazen, given your location in this world, you have a waiver from a daily reading of the New York Times print edition.

However, just in passing, I did get to read two day old Times when serving in Viet Nam circa 1968!!!!
 #23380  by Jamshid

According to GE Ad. Running an Evolution locomotive for 18 months will save as much as a tank car fuel...

It means something near 50 tons in 18 months. Taking to account the average fuel consumption of a locomotive (some 2000 gallons/day) it means that this locomotive is just 1.5% more efficient than what compared with!

You maybe noticed that EMD 710G3Eb series are 12% more efficient than 645E3b ones, and 645E3b ones are 3% more efficient than 645E3 ones!

(It is better to say that a state of the art locomotive nowadays burns some 20% less fuel than a 30 years old one! some 15% more efficiency for diesel engine and 5% fuel saving due to more efficient power transmission and better controlled Aux. systems)

Conclusion: "EVOLUTION series take a small step in less fuel consumption rather than expected great leap"

#27192  by TerryC

On the tank car it says (I think) HOKX. What do those letters mean?

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/
Keep asking, keep learning