Railroad Forums 

• GP40-2s and Top Lettering

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#4330  by NYSW3614

Just wondering if anyone's done a model of these and if so, what tips they have for modelling them (decals etc).

I understand the road numbers were also on top of the cab, where there other engines done this way? Why was this done? Thanks!

#4445  by rushhour

This was done so that the tower operators could see what the engine numbers were. I think it was onlt done on those engines.

#4696  by rdganthracite

rushhour wrote:This was done so that the tower operators could see what the engine numbers were. I think it was onlt done on those engines.
I know for certain that the SW1001s had the roof numbers. I saw and photographed many of them from the bridge over the hump in Rutherford, I think that the MP15s had the cab roof numbers also.

#4946  by RDG Mallet

Hello,

If I understand correctly, ALL of the RDG locomotives that recieved the FINAL solid green scheme recieved cab roof numbers. This included the SW1001s, MP-15s, GP39-2s, GP40-2s, and even the 3640, the only RDG GP-35 to recieve the final green scheme. :)

Mike

READING COMPANY "AMERICA'S LARGEST ANTHRACITE CARRIER"

#4978  by rushhour

I didnt know this. Thanks for the heads up. :D

#23819  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

RDG Mallet wrote:Hello,

If I understand correctly, ALL of the RDG locomotives that recieved the FINAL solid green scheme recieved cab roof numbers. This included the SW1001s, MP-15s, GP39-2s, GP40-2s, and even the 3640, the only RDG GP-35 to recieve the final green scheme. :)

Mike

READING COMPANY "AMERICA'S LARGEST ANTHRACITE CARRIER"

According to photo evidence, only the GP40-2s and the SW1001 had the roof numbers.

#23821  by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

Regarding the GP40-2s, I once heard the story that they were financed by Bethlehem Steel, which is why they were assigned to the Joanna Mine runs. Is their any truth to the story that the steel company financed this order? Did they just act as a banker (loan agent), or did Bethlehem purchase them outright for the Reading and later Conrail would have purchased them from Bethlehem?

#32707  by RDG Mallet

According to the roof number showing through on the old CR paint, the 3640 had it too. It was the only RDG GP-35 to get the solid green scheme. You want evidence come to Leesport, PA and see for yourself.

Finally dug out my RDG Diesels Vol. 2 by Dale Woodland. The 40s and 1001s definatly did, the 3640 definatly did, the 39s are questionable because there are NO clear roof shots.

Mike

READING LINES "BEE LINE SERVICE"