Railroad Forums 

• B&M 3666 (steam locomotive sunk in Piscataqua River)

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

Re:

#931971  by 3rdrail

wolfmom69 wrote: A ship was taking the 2 older locos,from 1840-50s from the builder,in Mass. I think,to the south, or middle Atlantic states,when the ship ran into trouble off New Jersey coast,and went down(or they may have jettisoned the locos!).
I guess that was not uncommon for those times. "Losing" a loco or two on the high seas in a storm was fairly common, and numerous locomotives litter the sea lanes which were used by ships transporting the early engines. Remember, in order to get to San Francisco, a Boston-made locomotive might travel on-board ship down the Atlantic Seaboard, all the way around Argentina and Cape Horn (about 170 miles from Antarctica) and then up the South American and American coast in the Pacific. I agree with wolfmom69 that many probably got written up in the ship's log as "washed overboard by giant wave" for insurance purposes when in reality they got the heave-ho in order to save the ship and it's crew in rough waters. These guys were known to overload cargo and I suppose, who could blame them ! The Great Lakes probably holds the best hope for a recovery worth the trouble due to it's fresh water.
 #952073  by MEC407

There's a nice article about the wreck of the 3666 in this week's York County Coast Star newspaper.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/ ... -107140337
 #957272  by jbvb

A 3/4 view of the other side of B&M 3666 appeared in an issue of the glossy magazine The Railroad Enthusiasts' national organization put out back in the 1970s. Around 1970, before I knew 3666's fate, the engineer on B-21 asked if I could find a photo of it and I brought him back a copy of the RRE magazine. This might have been "sending me to get a bucket of plaid paint", but his emphysema and smoking caught up to him not long after and I'll never know...