Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #662953  by NJTRailfan

Not too long ago I saw a URHS Calender dating back to 1993 and in one of the color photos I saw an E-8 pulling 6 or 8 coaches on it's way to CNJ's Jersey City Terminal. What was the consists of the trains comming into Jersey City from DC and other areas? How many cars long were they and was there two E-8s per train or just one? also did the trains consist of any sleepers, lounges and diners or not? If they did how many cars?

Thanks
 #662960  by bigfreight

when I was growing up in the early sixties on the CNJ in Westfield, NJ there was a B&O train the Royal Blue and the Reading Crusader use to go thru town. They did not stop to my knowledge at any CNJ stations other than Jersey City. As for motor power I do not remember much about he B&O train other than the streamliner type coaches. The Crusader ran 2 to 3 RDC's .
 #663009  by Kaback9

I was told that B&O stopped Passenger service into Jersey City in 58. Maybe that was just long distance trains though.
 #663589  by peconicstation

In addition to the B & O passenger trains, B & O Freights ran on the CNJ, and B & O, C & O, and Chessie Systems engines were often serviced at the
Communipaw, and Elizabethport Shops right up to the formation of Conrail, or in the case of Communipaw until it closed in 1972.

Many of the books on the CNJ will show these engines pulling freights, or being serviced.

Ken
 #663940  by David Hutchinson

B&O power was also used on unit coal trains into Port Reading via the Port Reading Branch. The first use was in late 1963/ early 1964 and lasted around a year. F7s, GP30s and FAs came in. B&O/C&O power again showed up in the early 1970's on the daily turnaround Philadelphia/ Port Reading piggyback trains.
 #663941  by David Hutchinson

I forgot to mention that Reading power was sometimes mixed with the B&O units on those Port Reading unit coal trains...........only Reading cabooses were used, although B&O cabooses were sometimes used on the piggyback trains.