Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #607000  by curmudgeon

Hi all -

Did B&O have 0-4-0 Camelbacks/Mother Hubbards like those on the Reading?

TNX.

regards,
 #607038  by hutton_switch

curmudgeon wrote:Hi all -

Did B&O have 0-4-0 Camelbacks/Mother Hubbards like those on the Reading?

TNX.

regards,
Look at the posts on this exact topic over at Railfan.net:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 340;start=

None of the B&O Camelbacks/Mother Hubbards/"Snappers" were 0-4-0; they were for the most part, 2-8-0 Consolidations, or 4-6-0 Ten-Wheelers.
 #607049  by curmudgeon

Thanks hutton-switch, you answered my question - & THOSE guys answered questions I didn't know to ask! :-D

I'm a Ma Hubbard fan, just 'cause they look so odd.
Can't remember where (thought I had a copy of it) but I've seen a pic of a (think) NYC 0-8-8-0!
That musta been WAY fun to fire! :-D

Interestingly, the NC&StL had one 2-8-0, ~ 1900ish.
Can't imagine why.
They rebuilt it as standard after a year or so.

regards,
 #607142  by BaltOhio

Before leaving the subject, however, it might be noted that the B&O did own five 0-6-0 camelbacks -- which actually weren't used on the B&O itself. These were classed as D-23, #1180-84, and were built new specifically for use on the SIRT, which generally operated anthracite-burning engines during its steam days. They were scrapped between 1944-46 when the SIRT was dieselized.
 #607167  by curmudgeon

The more I think of it, seems that WAS a B&O 0-8-8-0 Mother Hubbard I saw.

And NC&StL was the only southern 'road to have one that I know.

regards,
 #626592  by erie2521

The B&O called them "Snappers" and I think they were the only ones that did so.