Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #206759  by ajt

Anyone with a take on mid-60's traffic volume on the BR&P north of Punxy to Ashford Jct and beyond to Buffalo and Rochester? Yards, locals, symbol freights?
 #207625  by TB Diamond

Do not know about the mid-1960s, but from the late 1960s into the early 1970s the B&O operated one daily train out of East Salamanca to Rochester, returning when the crew was rested. This train did some local work. There was at least one local job out of the Lincoln Park yard in Rochester. There was another job that worked the coal trestle on the Genesee River (Charlotte Dock) when a boat was being loaded. The coal trestle closed in the early 1970s. Another job, called the Leroy Local, worked out of Leroy south as far as Silver Springs. This job would go to Perry on the Silver Lake Branch as business dictated. The branch was abandoned in 1973 Silver Springs-Perry. There was at least one yard job in East Salamanca and another in Buffalo. Do not know what the traffic was East Salamanca-Buffalo.

#208322  by BR&P

The '60s was a time of change on the 3rd and 4th subs, things were quite different by the end of the decade from the start of it. You can post your question on the BR&P Yahoo group and Brian can give you all the details you want.

In about 64, there were 3 rounds crews working between Rochester & E. Sal. How fast they turned was a function of what was moving. In the summer with dock coal running things were busy, but the docks usually closed from late November/early December till early April. Starting about n Feb '64 there were unit coal trains to Kodak in Rochester. They started out as every other week, alternating with NYC, but later that varied more.

3rd sub, to Buffalo, I'd have to dig out info but off the top of my head I believe they had two road crews plus a local. Of course on both sides an occasional extra crew was needed.

In the same time period Rochester had many yard crews - 3 (?) days crews, 2 or 3 afternoons, and I'm not sure about 3rd trick. The docks were sometimes switched by one of the regular yard crews, often by an extra.