Railroad Forums 

• 58th St B/W Chester and Woodland Aves.

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1235578  by SCB2525

I had read an old post somewhere that had said that this was basically put in by removing asphalt from the old Rt 46 trackage with rehabilitation. Does anyone have any details on this? Also, when was this done? Philadelphia trolley tracks 1992 track map shows no such trackage and the post I saw was from 2005 I believe.
 #1235647  by ekt8750

SCB2525 wrote:I had read an old post somewhere that had said that this was basically put in by removing asphalt from the old Rt 46 trackage with rehabilitation. Does anyone have any details on this? Also, when was this done? Philadelphia trolley tracks 1992 track map shows no such trackage and the post I saw was from 2005 I believe.
1995 if I remember correctly. They really did just resurface the tangent track on 58th because it was in such good shape. The turnouts at Chester and Woodland were built from scratch.
 #1235720  by trackwelder

ekt8750 wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:I had read an old post somewhere that had said that this was basically put in by removing asphalt from the old Rt 46 trackage with rehabilitation. Does anyone have any details on this? Also, when was this done? Philadelphia trolley tracks 1992 track map shows no such trackage and the post I saw was from 2005 I believe.
1995 if I remember correctly. They really did just resurface the tangent track on 58th because it was in such good shape. The turnouts at Chester and Woodland were built from scratch.
wait a minute, those switches are only twenty years old!?!
 #1235776  by ekt8750

jtaeffner wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:
wait a minute, those switches are only twenty years old!?!
They maybe even younger than that at least the Woodland one anyway. I believe they were rebuilt a few years back. Not sure.
 #1235828  by trackwelder

there's no way those switches are that young, i've personally overhauled several of them, and for the amount that they are utilised there's no way they could be that worn after only 17 years.
 #1235854  by ekt8750

jtaeffner wrote:there's no way those switches are that young, i've personally overhauled several of them, and for the amount that they are utilised there's no way they could be that worn after only 17 years.
You're right. I remember reading somewhere that they farmed some switches from Luzerne Depot to build some turnout that I don't remember which. Perhaps that one was it.
 #1235931  by trackwelder

ekt8750 wrote:
jtaeffner wrote:there's no way those switches are that young, i've personally overhauled several of them, and for the amount that they are utilised there's no way they could be that worn after only 17 years.
You're right. I remember reading somewhere that they farmed some switches from Luzerne Depot to build some turnout that I don't remember which. Perhaps that one was it.

you're right, i completely forgot about that. i dunno how many complete switches they pulled but i know they grabbed all the tongues and parts out of the boxes. my old partner was on the crew that did that.
 #1238456  by JimBoylan

There were also either buried switches or missing rail in front of the 58-Woodland loop, so there was more work than just scraping off the asphalt. Did they install new ties, and then relay the used rail?
 #1540021  by septaglizzy27

JimBoylan wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:47 pm There were also either buried switches or missing rail in front of the 58-Woodland loop, so there was more work than just scraping off the asphalt. Did they install new ties, and then relay the used rail?
where was the 58th-Woodland Loop located? On google maps there is no evidence of a loop.
 #1540217  by JimBoylan

The loop ran around the auto repair shop at 2122-36 S. 58th St. The back of that building and its North side were chopped off for part of the loop. The exit was at 2138 or 2140, the entrance at 2122, which is now built over again. You can see from the roof line how the North part of the old building had been removed for the loop.
 #1540963  by septaglizzy27

JimBoylan wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:23 pm The loop ran around the auto repair shop at 2122-36 S. 58th St. The back of that building and its North side were chopped off for part of the loop. The exit was at 2138 or 2140, the entrance at 2122, which is now built over again. You can see from the roof line how the North part of the old building had been removed for the loop.
thank you , I seen the loop on historic aerials