Railroad Forums 

• ADA Deadline

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1066667  by eafp668

Does SEPTA have a deadline by which all stations must be ADA-compliant, including high level platforms?
 #1066718  by Clearfield

No.

Any major renovations to a station require high level platforms, and if you read the Capital Budget you'll see that there is a major push to make all of the busy stations on the SEPTA-owned trunk high level. In the interim, the mini high level platforms comply.

The Feds realize there's difference between unfunded mandates and unfundable mandates.
 #1066818  by eafp668

Clearfield wrote:No.

Any major renovations to a station require high level platforms, and if you read the Capital Budget you'll see that there is a major push to make all of the busy stations on the SEPTA-owned trunk high level. In the interim, the mini high level platforms comply.

The Feds realize there's difference between unfunded mandates and unfundable mandates.
Interesting. It also seems strange to me that the Paoli/Thorndale Line is the busiest line yet has so few high level platforms.
 #1066839  by Clearfield

eafp668 wrote:Interesting. It also seems strange to me that the Paoli/Thorndale Line is the busiest line yet has so few high level platforms.
I believe that Amtrak still owns owns most of those stations, or at least the properties. Can someone chime in here?
 #1066846  by Volanova

eafp668 wrote:

Interesting. It also seems strange to me that the Paoli/Thorndale Line is the busiest line yet has so few high level platforms.
Not only does it have few high level platforms, but many stations are just falling apart. The stairs on the outbound platform of Rosemont are built out of 2x4s haphazardly nailed together, Narberth is standard mid 70s-late 80s terribleness, St. Davids is crumbling, the inbound roof at Villanova has open holes in it and pieces of metal that are falling down... It's like SEPTA (or whoever owns the stations) is just trying to get someone to sue them when they step through a rotten board or get knocked in the head by a falling piece of ceiling.

It really is a shame how so many of these historic buildings have been allowed to rot. Instead of repairing brick platform surfaces, they just slapped down asphalt on them. Instead of rebuilding shelters they get torn down and have a bus stop put up in their place. Luckily it looks like this trend is reversing, though.
 #1066864  by eafp668

Clearfield wrote:
eafp668 wrote:Interesting. It also seems strange to me that the Paoli/Thorndale Line is the busiest line yet has so few high level platforms.
I believe that Amtrak still owns owns most of those stations, or at least the properties. Can someone chime in here?
But SEPTA did the Croydon upgrade, which is on Amtrak's NEC.
 #1066881  by eafp668

I've also always found it strange that Bryn Mawr has a mini-high platform, but only on the outbound side. Anyone know why that is? Also, it's impossible to tell this from SEPTA's website.
 #1066883  by BuddCar711

Clearfield wrote:I believe that Amtrak still owns owns most of those stations, or at least the properties. Can someone chime in here?
Amtrak owns the trackage and catenary, SEPTA owns the stations (with the exception of Trenton and North Philadelphia).
 #1066888  by jfrey40535

Are you sure about that Bob? Fox Chase and Langhorne saw total facilities replacements last year and they did not have HLP's installed. Somerton was replaced in the mid 90s and also did not get HLPs. I think its a misconception that HLPs are mandatory, in fact I think Jeff Knuepple confirmed that for me about 2 years ago.
 #1067073  by Clearfield

jfrey40535 wrote:Are you sure about that Bob?
I was till you mentioned Fox Chase and Langhorne Jon. lol

Needs some research.
 #1067110  by Clearfield

jfrey40535 wrote:Agreed....
WOW
 #1067151  by Volanova

Matthew Mitchell wrote:And SEPTA did Wayne, right?
There was a big community effort behind Wayne, and, if I'm not mistaken, much of the funding was raised locally, especially for the station renovations. The work was done by SEPTA though.
 #1067160  by BuddSilverliner269

The way I understood it, Somerton station is modular with the hopes that if it does get HLPs it will be extremely easy to do. I never understood why Byrn Mawr had the partial mini high on the outbound side only.

Btw folks, I will be using this screen name again and no more amtrak67 of America. Budd269 is retired so the memory will live on.