Railroad Forums 

• Engine 501 on the River LINE

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#892355  by airman00

JimmyMaBoy wrote:My understanding is that the 502 won't shift in transit and also leaks water. Although repair is possible it is too costly.
What does it mean that 502 won't "shift in transit"? Is that like a clutch or something?
 #893942  by Jtgshu

chuchubob wrote:Apparently the ballast train was working Tuesday night, since the whole train was coupled together Wednesday morning and JTCX 9276 was idling.
That is the classiest work train I think I have ever seen! Looks like something you would see at Strasburg or something!

"Won't shift in transit" - im not sure what that means either? Maybe won't go in forward or reverse?

I get the water leak, i understand what that means :)
 #905655  by JimmyMaBoy

Means it won't change gears...The 501 has seen better days. Not sure about it's future but as for now it is still sitting in the freight yard just north pennsauken station. I suggest a Viking funeral.
 #906063  by airman00

Well at least this is better than the scrap heap. Although I assume NJT will eventually have to make a decision about her.
 #907514  by Jtgshu

airman00 wrote:Well at least this is better than the scrap heap. Although I assume NJT will eventually have to make a decision about her.
Well NJT would have 3 choices - let it rot, fix it or sell it. LTEX (Larry Truck and Electric) bought the 500, 501 and 503 when they were sold. They might have an interest if NJT were to put it up for sale.

ex-NJT 500

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2028024

ex-NJT 501

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1268798

ex-NJT 503

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1673134
 #907550  by airman00

It's nice to see the other 3 switchers still going on. In any event, I know from the NJT rail forum, all repairs are done at the MMC which puts #502 in a bind. In order for her to be fixed up NJT would have to contract out her repair to the shops down there. (No sense paying an arm and a leg again to bring her up here for repair and then send her back down again.)

Anyhow given how money is at a premium these days and due to the fact that there is already a working switcher down there... I think that says it all. My guess is that if NJT has her fixed up, I'd be surprised. The only way for her revival now, is if the Juniata switcher gets too $$ to lease. Then that might change things as she'd be needed.
 #908016  by HBLR

airman00 wrote:It's nice to see the other 3 switchers still going on. In any event, I know from the NJT rail forum, all repairs are done at the MMC which puts #502 in a bind. In order for her to be fixed up NJT would have to contract out her repair to the shops down there. (No sense paying an arm and a leg again to bring her up here for repair and then send her back down again.)

Anyhow given how money is at a premium these days and due to the fact that there is already a working switcher down there... I think that says it all. My guess is that if NJT has her fixed up, I'd be surprised. The only way for her revival now, is if the Juniata switcher gets too $$ to lease. Then that might change things as she'd be needed.
I would, if i were NJTR, send the unit to altoona for a rebuild (give it new trucks and a new prime mover), vs sending it back to northern NJ via ohio. Just my humble opinion. I think the MMC has its hands full with all the new equipment.
 #908252  by cruiser939

HBLR wrote:
airman00 wrote:It's nice to see the other 3 switchers still going on. In any event, I know from the NJT rail forum, all repairs are done at the MMC which puts #502 in a bind. In order for her to be fixed up NJT would have to contract out her repair to the shops down there. (No sense paying an arm and a leg again to bring her up here for repair and then send her back down again.)

I would, if i were NJTR, send the unit to altoona for a rebuild (give it new trucks and a new prime mover), vs sending it back to northern NJ via ohio. Just my humble opinion. I think the MMC has its hands full with all the new equipment.
I guess it's a good thing you are not affiliated with NJT then.
 #908363  by Kaback9

HBLR wrote:

Yes lets send one switcher out for rebuild when there is a fleet of geeps actually in service that would be more deserving..
 #908475  by airman00

I don't think 502 needs a complete rebuilding, just to fix what's broken, that's all. I know it's not that simple though. Nor is it cheap.
 #909137  by Jtgshu

not for nothing cruiser, but rebuilding the SW1500s would have been cheaper than millions spent on each of the MP switchers which are hunks of junk. Imagine how much more they would have cost if NJT didn't trade in the 4130-4134.......
 #909167  by amtrakhogger

airman00 wrote:
JimmyMaBoy wrote:My understanding is that the 502 won't shift in transit and also leaks water. Although repair is possible it is too costly.
What does it mean that 502 won't "shift in transit"? Is that like a clutch or something?
The unit will not make electrical transition.
 #909176  by airman00

amtrakhogger wrote:
airman00 wrote:
The unit will not make electrical transition.
Forgive me, I have no idea what that means.
 #926869  by airman00

It's been a while since any news on #502. I'm assuming she is still sitting out of service? I am curious too... when, (if ever) will any decision be made on #502?