Railroad Forums 

• The Atlantic City Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#670178  by BadAddetude

Bringing up an Old Thread here...

So what is the status of the tie replacement project on the ACL? I see big piles of old ties at the grade crossings of Pomona and Cologne Avenues. How is the shuttle bus system working out? When is the approx. date for doing the Delair-Hammonton half of the line?

Any more talk of the transfer station at Delair/RIVERLine?
 #670213  by RDG-LNE

I've noticed in a few places on the north end of the line that a few of the tie bundles have had the bands broken and a few ties removed. I suspect local homeowners making Spring plant beds as there are no signs of them being used under the rails.

Drew
 #670217  by TheTroll

BadAddetude wrote:Bringing up an Old Thread here...

So what is the status of the tie replacement project on the ACL? I see big piles of old ties at the grade crossings of Pomona and Cologne Avenues. How is the shuttle bus system working out? When is the approx. date for doing the Delair-Hammonton half of the line?

Any more talk of the transfer station at Delair/RIVERLine?
They are almost up to Hammonton Station. Should be this week or early next week to get the first section done. As far as I know (which isn't much) there is no set date. But schedules and jobs have to be changed and bid on, so look for the next two to three weeks for more of a set time. The buses seem to be working out just fine.
 #670225  by Jtgshu

they seem to be making slow, but steady progress. Maybe they will be able to get more done if they don't have to move all their junk all the way from Lennox China switch to the work zone, currently south of Hammonton. I would have thought they would be using the Winslow Connecting track to store the MOW stuff, but the stone train (like 15 or so hoppers and 2 locos) parked there i guess answered that question.......haha
 #670238  by cruiser939

Jtgshu wrote:they seem to be making slow, but steady progress. Maybe they will be able to get more done if they don't have to move all their junk all the way from Lennox China switch to the work zone, currently south of Hammonton. I would have thought they would be using the Winslow Connecting track to store the MOW stuff, but the stone train (like 15 or so hoppers and 2 locos) parked there i guess answered that question.......haha
20 hoppers and 2 locos made it down there last Thursday. they were supposed to head down on Wednesday but Amtrak put the brakes on that due to the signal problems at Dock.
Last edited by cruiser939 on Tue May 12, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #670254  by Jtgshu

cruiser939 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:they seem to be making slow, but steady progress. Maybe they will be able to get more done if they don't have to move all their junk all the way from Lennox China switch to the work zone, currently south of Hammonton. I would have thought they would be using the Winslow Connecting track to store the MOW stuff, but the stone train (like 15 or so hoppers and 2 locos) parked there i guess answered that question.......haha
20 hoppers and 2 locos made it down there last Thursday. they were supposed to head down on Wednesday but Amtrak put the brakes on that do to the signal problems at Dock.
I feel sorry for the poor schlubs who had that train............christ!!!!

thats a nice payday though! :)
 #670257  by BuddSilverliner269

Jtgshu wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
20 hoppers and 2 locos made it down there last Thursday. they were supposed to head down on Wednesday but Amtrak put the brakes on that do to the signal problems at Dock.

Calling NJT Matt!!!!!!!!! :-D
 #670315  by chuchubob

TheTroll wrote: They are almost up to Hammonton Station. Should be this week or early next week to get the first section done. As far as I know (which isn't much) there is no set date. But schedules and jobs have to be changed and bid on, so look for the next two to three weeks for more of a set time. The buses seem to be working out just fine.
That seems like pretty decent progress. They were in Egg Harbor City just three and-a-half weeks ago.
 #670355  by TheTroll

They leave the MOW equipment on the Lica siding, part of it is out of service, now that they are that close to Hammonton. It did kill them at the begining because the track cars were at Lenox China and had to go all the way to Beach and back.
 #670374  by Jtgshu

TheTroll wrote:
They leave the MOW equipment on the Lica siding, part of it is out of service, now that they are that close to Hammonton. It did kill them at the begining because the track cars were at Lenox China and had to go all the way to Beach and back.
But they are storing the track stuff at Lennox when they aren't working, right? at least thats where they were Sunday. Do they keep the stuff at Lica during the week overnight or do they run back and forth to Lennox China every morning and afternoon?
 #670375  by Jtgshu

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:

Calling NJT Matt!!!!!!!!! :-D
Oh please him on a stone train????? HAHAHHA :) For whatever reason that seems to NEVER happen! :wink:

he (and the Mrs.!) is quite content where he is this week - which is fine, 4am is NOT my cup of tea!!!!
 #671019  by NJWG

Maybe a dumb question from a newbee but, Why are the signals all dark even when trains pass, and what are they using some kind of GPS based cab signals?
 #671024  by BadAddetude

Approach lit signals. The signals only light when a train is within a block or two, and shut off when not necessary. I'm still learning signals, I'm sure someone else will explain more.

Bob, are those the machines they are using to pull & place new ties? How quick does the machine work? Are a lot of workers necessary to run it?