• Mount Arlington Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by northjerseybuff

Daily Record
At 10 a.m. Monday, there will be a groundbreaking in Mount Arlington for NJ Transit's future train station, near Route 80 and Howard Boulevard.

U.S. Rep. Rodney P. Frelinghuysen, R-Harding, NJ Transit Executive Director George D. Warrington and Mount Arlington Mayor Arthur R. Ondish will speak.

The $16.1 million project, featuring two 285-foot platforms connected by a tunnel, is due for completion by the fall of 2007.

The train station will provide service on NJ Transit's Montclair-Boonton line, with connections to New York City available in Hoboken.

by Dylanchris73

Let's hope NJT adds service past Dover. Otherwise this new station has no point.

by Jishnu

There are fourteen trains a day both eastbound and westbound through Mount Arlington to Lake Hopatcong. It should be relatively simple to add three or four more. I suspect that NJT will reorganize the schedule for West of Dover service once Mount Arlington is up and running to provide at least hourly service throughout the day and more frequent service Eastbound during the morning rush and Westbound service during the evening rush. It would be good if they take the opportunity to provide a more even service throughout the day to WORM. It can be done without electrifying or doubling the WORM territory.

by NYSW13000

One problem, how will NJT fit more trains in? Since west of Lake Hopatcong, its single track all the way to Hackettstown. I doubt NJT will double track it/put sidings in because well, you know how NJT is with major projects.

by Jishnu

They don't have to go west of Lake Hopatcong to serve Mount Arlington. Mount Arlington is between Dover and Lake Hopatcong, so no further double tracking necessary. And furthermore, Port Morris yard is conveniently located just beyond Lake Hopatcong in case a yard is needed to turn trains. Under normal circumstances it should be possible to turn trains at Lake Hopatcong Station.

by Frogger

best solution would be to electrify to Mount Arlington. Deadhead a few Dover trains to Mount Arlington and run them Midtown Direct to NY. The current substations should be able to handle the extra few miles of track. When NJT decides to electrify to Port Morris they can do double-tracking to Hackettstown, or at least add passing tracks and add the additional substation necessary for that.

by NYSW13000

Jishnu wrote:They don't have to go west of Lake Hopatcong to serve Mount Arlington. Mount Arlington is between Dover and Lake Hopatcong, so no further double tracking necessary. And furthermore, Port Morris yard is conveniently located just beyond Lake Hopatcong in case a yard is needed to turn trains. Under normal circumstances it should be possible to turn trains at Lake Hopatcong Station.
I know that; I am familiar with the line. If NJT were to add more trains, it wouldn't make much sense just to go to Mount Arlington. To add more trains to the line, they would need more reasons then just one station, in which we don't even know if a lot of people would use the Mount Arlington station.

by NJTRailfan

The better solution and the only solution is to electrify all the way to PM Yard and run the same amt of trains that they currently do from NYP-Dover to serve stations like Lake Hopatcong and Mt Arlington. As far as Netcong to Hackettstown goes. I've talked to quite a few of NJT engineers and conductors who work the runs and say that as of now the numbers don't support further electrifcation but however it doesn't mean that a really long passing siding or two can't be added not to mention a weekend service that is atleast equivilant to what the Lackawanna had on Saturdays.

In my opinion NJT should re extend service into Washington and build a station like Mt Arlington to better serve Warren County residents who use NJT to Newark, Hoboken and NYP.

With the projects NJT has cancel and having all this time on your hands maybe they can beef up service on their current network
Last edited by NJTRailfan on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Frogger

Electrifying to Port Morris would almost certainly require another substation. Remember you'd need to be able to support an entire yard on the current substation to expand to Port Morris.

by Bay Head Local

I know this may be a dumb question but im going to ask it anyway, It says that Mount Arlington is going to built wit two 285 foot platforms, so does that mean the platforms are only being built long enough to fit a three-car train and maybe a loco?

by Frogger

Bay Head Local wrote:I know this may be a dumb question but im going to ask it anyway, It says that Mount Arlington is going to built wit two 285 foot platforms, so does that mean the platforms are only being built long enough to fit a three-car train and maybe a loco?
not a dumb question, just dumb NJT. It makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

by nick11a

Frogger wrote:
Bay Head Local wrote:I know this may be a dumb question but im going to ask it anyway, It says that Mount Arlington is going to built wit two 285 foot platforms, so does that mean the platforms are only being built long enough to fit a three-car train and maybe a loco?
not a dumb question, just dumb NJT. It makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever.
That is not an unusual platform size for trains west of Dover though.

by NYSW13000

Yes as Nick said before me, trains west of Dover usually only consist of 4 cars and a locomotive, 5 cars at the most.
Last edited by NYSW13000 on Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Bay Head Local

so I guess midtown direct service won't be arriving any time soon, if a station thats NEW is getting built with only the provision of 3-car trains.

by Frogger

seems pretty dumb to me. How much extra will it cost to build the platforms to say 500 ft. NJT is anticipating growth, right?