Railroad Forums 

• F40s On The Move

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1348602  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I was doing some "touch up" work or my CNJ video project yesterday. I was at Raritan waiting or the 12:11 westbound. I heard something coming east and it wasn't an ALP 45DP either. I knew from the sound it was a GP. As I switched the camera on, the 12:11 came around the curve(10 minutes early) by RA tower. I knew a meet was going to happen. The eastbound turned out to be a light power move with F40s 4119 and 4120 in tow. I wonder where they were headed ? Made for a bonus grab for my video.
 #1349030  by ACeInTheHole

MMC yard job, believe MM-02, picked them up and brought them back to the MMC, #1005 was the unit towing them. Caught it in Roselle Park.
 #1349035  by airman00

Oh boy! Maybe being brought to the MMC to get work done to return to service?
 #1349966  by CNJ Fan 4evr

airman00 wrote:Oh boy! Maybe being brought to the MMC to get work done to return to service?
OR readying them to be sold/leased ?
 #1350937  by NJRAILNUT

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:I was told they were sold. Heading west.
Oh man, hopefully this isn't the case. I thought NJT tried to keep these two in good working order for their ballast/work trains. They have been looking really nice paired up together lately.

I KNOW this is/was wishful thinking, but I was really hoping that they would give us some sort of "Farewell to the F40" event before the got rid of these (as they seem to be the last two left in good working order). After all, once these two are officially gone that's it for cowl units on NJT. End of an era.
 #1351034  by rr503

NJRAILNUT wrote:
I KNOW this is/was wishful thinking, but I was really hoping that they would give us some sort of "Farewell to the F40" event before the got rid of these (as they seem to be the last two left in good working order). After all, once these two are officially gone that's it for cowl units on NJT. End of an era.
What about the PL42ACs?
 #1351053  by NJRAILNUT

rr503 wrote:
NJRAILNUT wrote:
What about the PL42ACs?
You know....you're absolutely right. I dunno why those don't pop into my mind when I think cowl units. I guess in my head it needs an "F" in front of it haha. But technically yes, the PL42AC I'm sure will be around for quite some time.

You still can't beat a screamin' F40 leaving a station though. That IS something I guess we will never experience again.
 #1351069  by srock1028

NJRAILNUT wrote: You still can't beat a screamin' F40 leaving a station though. That IS something I guess we will never experience again.
I guess you forgot about the few Metro-North painted F40s that run in and out of Hoboken. 645 had one yesterday (October 1st).
 #1351078  by DutchRailnut

they sound different in MN color ;-)
 #1351102  by NJRAILNUT

DutchRailnut wrote:they sound different in MN color ;-)
Dang straight they do :-) Srock you are correct of course, I guess I just wasn't thinking about Metro-North and their locos.

Still, an end of an era if they are indeed being sold. I would have thought NJ Transit could have found SOME use for them (unless they are unreliable and/or very difficult to maintain for some reason).
 #1351134  by rr503

NJRAILNUT wrote:
rr503 wrote:
NJRAILNUT wrote:
What about the PL42ACs?
You know....you're absolutely right. I dunno why those don't pop into my mind when I think cowl units. I guess in my head it needs an "F" in front of it haha. But technically yes, the PL42AC I'm sure will be around for quite some time.

You still can't beat a screamin' F40 leaving a station though. That IS something I guess we will never experience again.
Agreed
I used to go to Ridgewood to watch them (and only them, not all locomotives are equal :wink: ).
Oh the memories...