Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1321502  by Martin Baumann

According to EXTRA 2200 SOUTH Issue 93 in August 1991 there were only two left running, 958 and 960. When was the last revenue run and on what line?
 #1321560  by Ken W2KB

Martin Baumann wrote:According to EXTRA 2200 SOUTH Issue 93 in August 1991 there were only two left running, 958 and 960. When was the last revenue run and on what line?
958 is in the URHS collection, stored at Boonton, NJ. http://urhs.org/blog/urhs-equipment-roster/#njt-958
 #1321570  by Backshophoss

The E60's ran between NY Penn and S. Amboy ,possibly to Long Branch(end of wire at that time) on the North Jersey Coast Line,
aka the New York and Long Branch,the former joint PRR+CNJ operation
 #1322140  by BigDell

Still my favorite "quirky" motor. Is this one still in PA?
http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/about/roster/e60.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For some reason I really liked these. They never had a "Last run of the E60C" (in original Amtrak colors, we'd joke). I should dig up the old photos at some point.
 #1322189  by TrainPhotos

BigDell wrote:Still my favorite "quirky" motor. Is this one still in PA?
http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/about/roster/e60.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For some reason I really liked these. They never had a "Last run of the E60C" (in original Amtrak colors, we'd joke). I should dig up the old photos at some point.
For some reason I can't get excited about these screaming, wobbly, overweight, rectangular blocks of a locomotive. :P

The toasters had more personality in my opinion. :wink:
 #1322235  by Backshophoss

Amtk 603 is at the RR museum of PA,stored out in the weather,showing rust streaks on the sides,where the "planned"
Building extension is/was to be built on. :(
 #1322307  by Matt Johnson

Backshophoss wrote:The E60's ran between NY Penn and S. Amboy ,possibly to Long Branch(end of wire at that time) on the North Jersey Coast Line,
aka the New York and Long Branch,the former joint PRR+CNJ operation
Definitely to Long Branch after electrified service started in '88. I used to see 'em come through Hazlet all the time on weekday rush hour trains. As far as I could tell, they were never used in local off-peak service though.
 #1323250  by cobra30689

I'm not sure exactly when the last run was, but I'm pretty sure it was close to the time when NJT upped the catenary voltage from the phase gap at Matawan to LB from 12kv to today's 25kv. The E60's couldn't negotiate the voltage change, and of course neither could the Arrow's....thus their demise west of Matawan as well.
 #1323300  by ChrisU

It couldn't have been around the voltage change because Arrows ran to Long Branch until 2005.
 #1323409  by Backshophoss

The E-60's had manual taps on their Main Transformer,Like the Arrows,required a trip to the shop to change them
to 25 kv,60 hz wire. :(
 #1323443  by Ken S.

I think they were pulled from passenger service when the first batch of ALP44s arrived. They spend most of the 1990s stored on the General Box siding in Denville.
 #1324042  by Backshophoss

It's possible that the Matawan extension was a bit too much for Amtrak's distrubution network,better off
getting commerical power off the grid.
 #1324527  by BigDell

Found an old VHS tape with NJT 962 pulling a string Westbound through North Rahway. I LOVED that spot (one of my faves) when the old "station" (it was really just a drop-off spot for Mercks at one time) still had access with stairs. It's a nice video, 962 coming from the distance and running through toward the shore, I'm guessing. It's sandwiched in between a CR GP38 switching locally, it passed me coming from Linden and headed west, then cut back and went down into the spur on the west side of the NEC that ran behind "North Rahway Station" and into those woods. Funny to see it disappearing into the brush. I'll post the whole sequence after I transfer it to the big Mac and upload.
I'm still fond of these motors. Illogical, but then that's what it's all about.
 #1324562  by kilroy

I'm with you Big D. I spent a lot of time at North Rahway in high school photographing the NEC. Lots of G's, real Metroliners and even the E-60's.