Railroad Forums 

• Bound Brook to Renovate and Open Eastbound Station Building

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1323386  by TAMR213

TrainPhotos wrote:How do trains stop there now? Single track?
With Brakes? I'm pretty sure a single track would cause a derailment :wink:

Seriously though - there are currently both east and westbound tracks and associated platforms. The main station building (westbound) has been a restaurant for years, and the eastbound building has stood vacant and boarded up for at least the past 20+ years.
 #1323700  by Zeke

Bound Brook asked about reopening it around IIRC 2007. Transit looked into it but the place was loaded up with asbestos and the cost of removal dissuaded the parties. I guess they have reached an agreement and the asbestos removal and rehab is funded. This is the same reason High Bridge station is unable to re open ...asbestos issues.
 #1324011  by Ken W2KB

Zeke wrote:Bound Brook asked about reopening it around IIRC 2007. Transit looked into it but the place was loaded up with asbestos and the cost of removal dissuaded the parties. I guess they have reached an agreement and the asbestos removal and rehab is funded. This is the same reason High Bridge station is unable to re open ...asbestos issues.
Several years ago when the contractors were renovating the High Bridge station they told me that the asbestos was being removed as part of the project. That said, I have no way on knowing if that is so or if removal was complete. Compared with Bound Brook, High Bridge has only a handful of passengers and may not be cost effective for NJT to reopen it even if asbestos is not an issue. This is especially so since one can generally get on board trains at High Bridge at least 10 minutes or more before departure making an open station building far less advantageous.