Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1165280  by DutchRailnut

I think its more like a ALP45DP uses 75% of what conventional diesel uses, as calculated by how much fuel per HP consumed.
 #1165283  by sixty-six

DutchRailnut wrote:I think its more like a ALP45DP uses 75% of what conventional diesel uses, as calculated by how much fuel per HP consumed.
No, it's not. Sirsonic would know.
 #1165285  by ACeInTheHole

Read the topic Dutch, it has been covered amply, two high speed engines vs. one low speed prime mover, combined with over 25 percent less fuel capacity vs. the Geeps is the culprit. The two engines are great for quick loading and acceleration, but forget it with fuel efficiency. The only reason that these engines can get by being so inefficient is that they are also electric locomotives in the same package. JT, not to argue you, but don't the Geeps have CAT HEP generators? Just playing a bit of devils advocate.
 #1165355  by DutchRailnut

The EMD 645 and Cat HEP are surely not misers when it comes to fuel. reason for smaller tank on 45's is, they are only suppose to use diesel half the time.
 #1165359  by ACeInTheHole

DutchRailnut wrote:The EMD 645 and Cat HEP are surely not misers when it comes to fuel. reason for smaller tank on 45's is, they are only suppose to use diesel half the time.
No, that is not it, fuel tanks any larger on the 45s would put them over the weight limit for 125 mph max operational speed on the NEC as per Amtrak ruling. As they are now, they are only about 7,000 pounds under said limit.
 #1165364  by DutchRailnut

As always Beanbag I like your opinion, despite it not being anywhere near truth ..
 #1165374  by sixty-six

DutchRailnut wrote:The EMD 645 and Cat HEP are surely not misers when it comes to fuel. reason for smaller tank on 45's is, they are only suppose to use diesel half the time.
They're being used as straight diesels more often than not, and when being run as such, they use more fuel than any other diesel in the fleet.
 #1165440  by ryanov

No one said that was a good idea. Presumably you buy dual mode equipment to run in both modes.
 #1165533  by sixty-six

ryanov wrote:No one said that was a good idea. Presumably you buy dual mode equipment to run in both modes.
If only NJT knew of every crippling storm before they ordered them...
 #1165539  by Sirsonic

If I had meant the ALP-45s used 75% of the fuel I would have said that. The 45s use significantly MORE fuel to go the same distance with the same number of cars as a GP40-2 or even a PL42 (the PL42s also use more fuel than the geeps).
 #1166198  by 25Hz

Sirsonic wrote:If I had meant the ALP-45s used 75% of the fuel I would have said that. The 45s use significantly MORE fuel to go the same distance with the same number of cars as a GP40-2 or even a PL42 (the PL42s also use more fuel than the geeps).
The 45's have more horsepower total than the geeps, even with the HEP draw, so if they use more fuel, thats why. I have yet to see solid numbers anywhere except on a bombie spec sheet months ago that stated the fuel usage at idle is around 9 gallons per hour, not sure if thats per engine or total for both.
 #1166204  by ryanov

sixty-six wrote:
ryanov wrote:No one said that was a good idea. Presumably you buy dual mode equipment to run in both modes.
If only NJT knew of every crippling storm before they ordered them...
Though they're being used more because of the storm now, I don't get the feeling their usage patterns are much different than they would have been.
 #1166212  by Jtgshu

25Hz wrote:
Sirsonic wrote:If I had meant the ALP-45s used 75% of the fuel I would have said that. The 45s use significantly MORE fuel to go the same distance with the same number of cars as a GP40-2 or even a PL42 (the PL42s also use more fuel than the geeps).
The 45's have more horsepower total than the geeps, even with the HEP draw, so if they use more fuel, thats why. I have yet to see solid numbers anywhere except on a bombie spec sheet months ago that stated the fuel usage at idle is around 9 gallons per hour, not sure if thats per engine or total for both.
If that was the case, they would use the exact same amount of fuel as the PL42s then, because they have the same HP. But its not the case. Having one low speed engine (the EMD at around 900 RPM) compared to 2 medium speed engines, at 1800 RPM (or are they classified at medium speed and high speed? IM not sure) which do you think is going to use more fuel? Not to mention, the '45 has 24 cylinders, the '42 has 16. A Geep has 16 and 6 (for the HEP), but both are smaller displacement.

An engine working hard is going to use more fuel than an engine that isn't working that hard. The 2 CATs in the '45 work hard. The EMD doesn't work nearly as hard as often
 #1166228  by DutchRailnut

A High speed diesel should in theory be using about 1/2 th fuel at same HP and load
as Cylinder displacement is only 1/3 of medium speed EMD
the difference should also be, in fact EMD is two stroke so every cycle gets fuel, while Catepillar at twice speed is four stroke and only gets fuel injection every other stroke.