Railroad Forums 

• YouTube Vidoes of Port Jervis Trains on the Old Erie Main

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1117083  by nick11a

beanbag wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Actually these were "Comet I-As" - two cabs and six trailers built with spare Arrow III shells in 1978 for Port Jervis service, but without center doors. MNCR retired them in 2004 with the Comet V order and were sent to Ohio for scrap in 2005.

The "Comet IIB" was the second order of NJT Comet IIs in 1988 for Long Branch electrification (replacing the last lightweight "Jersey Builder" stock).
Love how the train leaves with the doors open.
Funny, isn't it: how railfans love the old trains running with doors open. It wasn't that long ago that this practice stopped on NJT.
 #1117093  by ACeInTheHole

nick11a wrote:
beanbag wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Actually these were "Comet I-As" - two cabs and six trailers built with spare Arrow III shells in 1978 for Port Jervis service, but without center doors. MNCR retired them in 2004 with the Comet V order and were sent to Ohio for scrap in 2005.

The "Comet IIB" was the second order of NJT Comet IIs in 1988 for Long Branch electrification (replacing the last lightweight "Jersey Builder" stock).
Funny, isn't it: how railfans love the old trains running with doors open. It wasn't that long ago that this practice stopped on NJT.
It was more of a personal observation that I would have made in general, railfan regardless.
 #1117095  by nick11a

beanbag wrote:
nick11a wrote:
beanbag wrote:

It was more of a personal observation that I would have made in general, railfan regardless.
Well, trust me.... it is not unique to you. People seem to love things that remind them of the days of old.
 #1322727  by ExCon90

TDowling wrote:The fourth or fifth car in the Harriman video has lettering near the number. Can anyone make it out?
I can't make it out, but didn't Metro-North name some of its coaches after on-line communities? I think that's where the names were placed on the cars.
 #1322744  by MSC34

ExCon90 wrote:
I can't make it out, but didn't Metro-North name some of its coaches after on-line communities? I think that's where the names were placed on the cars.
At some point Metro-North placed on-line community names on cars (I defer to the experts here for the dates), but I don't think that is what we are seeing in this video. These former EL/NJDOT trailers were owned by NJT at the time that this video was taken (April 1983).
 #1322868  by pumpers

ExCon90 wrote:
erie910 wrote:FWIW, only nearly a decade too late, the realignment of the Erie Main Line onto the Lackawanna Boonton Line did NOT bypass Paterson as a station. Eastbound trains were shifted from the Erie Main Line over a rebuilt Newark Branch connection to join the Lackawanna Boonton Line just (timetable) east of the South Paterson station. Westbound trains ran over the Boonton Line past the Clifton station and past the junction with the Newark Branch onto the rebuilt connection to the Erie Main Line through South Paterson.

For a short time, there was service on the Newark Branch, the Erie Main Line shifted to the Boonton Line, and normal Boonton Line operation via the Marshall St., Paterson station.
I think nick11a (if that's the post you're talking about) was referring to a passenger from Boonton or Lincoln Park finding his train hanging a right at Mountain View and going through Montclair instead of Paterson.
Yes, and then in 2002 hanging another right in Montclair to take the new connector over the the DL&W Montclair branch, abandoning the east end of NY&GL. JS