Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#973865  by Jeff Smith

Just when you thought you could go somewhere in peace and not listen to them yack incessantly.....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... ns_newyork

Subscription req'd
The stations with cellular service will be the C and E stops at 23rd Street; the A, C and E stops at 14th Street; the L stops at Sixth, Seventh and Eighth avenues; and the 1, 2, 3, F and M stops at 14th Street.

The project is meant only to provide service on platforms, but officials have said signals also will likely extend some of the way into tunnels between stations.
 #973968  by Patrick Boylan

I'm surprised. I understand Philadelphia already has cell phone service in its subway so I assumed New York, shining example to the rest of the country, did as well. After all, isn't giving people more opportunity to communicate a good thing? :)
 #974063  by railfan365

Patrick Boylan wrote:I'm surprised. I understand Philadelphia already has cell phone service in its subway so I assumed New York, shining example to the rest of the country, did as well. After all, isn't giving people more opportunity to communicate a good thing? :)
Don't forget that whie NYC has the most extensive subway system in the world - it is not alwys cutting edge or uick in its evolution. It took them 5 years to have metro card working everywhere, with some of the busiest stations being among the last to go online (Union Square, for example). Making the system fully accessible is moving at worse than a snail's pace. and construction of a new line now takes much longer than it used to.