Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#885171  by Roadgeek Adam

http://www.newyorkssixth.com/?p=980

/me points to Newport: go burn in hell.

The last hope of Pavonia Terminal has been lost.
 #885362  by M&Eman

Why was Newport-Pavonia/Newport-Pavonia Ave.-Erie named after the railroad that served it originally, and not after a location like Hoboken and Exchange Place were? Was there really nothing around this station besides the Erie terminal?
 #885383  by umtrr-author

When I was a kid in Jersey City the Erie was already part of the EL and had given up their Jersey City Terminal. There was certainly not much around then. Maybe some park and ride lots or something more casual than that, but I don't recall as we rarely ventured down to the end of Pavonia Avenue.

I was afraid that the blog post would call out the erasure of the "E"s from the station supports. Probably too costly so safe for now.
 #885502  by HBLR

Those ornamental capitals are preserved legally i believe. This is a shame, but i always called it newport anyways. I wonder how long it will take HBLR to change the name.
 #885544  by Roadgeek Adam

umtrr-author wrote:When I was a kid in Jersey City the Erie was already part of the EL and had given up their Jersey City Terminal. There was certainly not much around then. Maybe some park and ride lots or something more casual than that, but I don't recall as we rarely ventured down to the end of Pavonia Avenue.

I was afraid that the blog post would call out the erasure of the "E"s from the station supports. Probably too costly so safe for now.
The actual Pavonia Terminal has been closed for 52 (now nearly 53) years. So technically its been an error for a while. However, I really think this is a load of crap for a rename. Its an honor of history for god sakes.
 #885773  by R36 Combine Coach

54 as of now. It closed in late 1956 and all Erie service moved to Hoboken.
 #885789  by Roadgeek Adam

R36 Combine Coach wrote:54 as of now. It closed in late 1956 and all Erie service moved to Hoboken.
56? No way

The Northern Branch and NYSW used it until 1958. The Erie's rest dumped it in 1957.
 #885854  by HBLR

In light of all of the recent building boom going on in the area, it was only a matter of time before the name was changed to make it easier to remember. I can imagine it is also going to save a few dollars on printed materials and advertisements as it is now a little less than half its original length. They should at least have some kind of plaque or something commemorating the old terminal, after all if it was never there, the station would not have been constructed.
 #885858  by HBLR

M&Eman wrote:Why was Newport-Pavonia/Newport-Pavonia Ave.-Erie named after the railroad that served it originally, and not after a location like Hoboken and Exchange Place were? Was there really nothing around this station besides the Erie terminal?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/306 ... ffdf_o.jpg
Copyright: Andy Blair

http://pics.city-data.com/topoz/ztm18027.png

Yes, it was pretty much yard area it seems.
 #886181  by R36 Combine Coach

The name change has been in place since the new November 7 PATH timetable update.
 #886198  by Jeff Smith

Brief Quote:
The station was originally named Erie, after the Erie Railroad, explaining the station columns adorned with the letter “E,” before eventually being renamed after the street adjacent to the station, Pavonia Avenue. Pavonia then became Pavonia/Newport as Newport Associates began redeveloping the waterfront properties. The redevelopment divided Pavonia Avenue, and the Lefraks never seemed quite satisfied with a piece of Jersey City squarely in the middle of the their development eventually lobbying the city to rename Pavonia Avenue to the much more suburban strip mall sounding “Town Square Place.”
I don't like it either when places lose their historic names. It's still the Pan Am building to me, and Misericordia Hospital, not Lady of Mercy.

I'd be interested to know if any other names in the PATH system have changed?
 #886251  by Ken W2KB

Jeff Smith wrote:Brief Quote:
The station was originally named Erie, after the Erie Railroad, explaining the station columns adorned with the letter “E,” before eventually being renamed after the street adjacent to the station, Pavonia Avenue. Pavonia then became Pavonia/Newport as Newport Associates began redeveloping the waterfront properties. The redevelopment divided Pavonia Avenue, and the Lefraks never seemed quite satisfied with a piece of Jersey City squarely in the middle of the their development eventually lobbying the city to rename Pavonia Avenue to the much more suburban strip mall sounding “Town Square Place.”
I don't like it either when places lose their historic names. It's still the Pan Am building to me, and Misericordia Hospital, not Lady of Mercy.

Pavonia being the Dutch settlement name from the earliest of times is appropriate. My nomination for worst historical name travesty in Jersey City is the renaming in Liberty State Park of the main approach road to the CRRNJ Terminal from Johnston Avenue (named after the first President of the CRRNJ) to Audrey Zapp Drive, named after one of the park proponents. Appropriate to have one of the new park roads or paths named Zapp, but not the cited change.

I have never heard of any other PATH name changes, except predecessor H&M when it was moved from Park Place Terminal in Newark to Penn Station in the 1930's. That was an actual geographic place move of 1/2 mile or so of course.
 #886308  by OportRailfan

Jeff Smith wrote:Brief Quote:

1. Journal Square used to be known as Summit Ave.
2. World Trade Center used to be Hudson Terminal.
3. There also were 19th St. and 28th St. stations, and Manhattan transfer near Hudson Yard/Tower.
And now 4. Newport used to be known as Pavonia/Newport, and Erie.

Oh, and before the H&M moved operations to Newark Penn, there used to be Park Place in Newark up until 1937.