Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#545195  by NortheastTrainMan

hey ya'll I plan on going to NYC and while i'm there make a stop in Harlem. The problem is I don't know how to get there! :( I'll arrive at Penn Station but I might take the subway from Times Square i don't know yet.I don't know if I should take the subway to GCT and take MNCR to Harlem 125 st or a subway straight to 125 st? I don't really know the Paganini complicated NYCTA subway system too well so help would be appreciated! :-D
 #545198  by Ken S.

All subways from NYP except for the E stop at 125th Street and various Avenues. Stations and lines from Hudson to East Rivers; 1 (Broadway), A/C (St. Nicholas Av), 2/3 (Lenox). If you get on the E at NYP, you'll end up in Queens.
 #545203  by RearOfSignal

You can take the shuttle from Times Square to Grand Central and then the 4,5 or 6 to 125th Street.
 #545216  by jersey_emt

Where in Harlem are you looking to go? This would help us to help you, as Harlem is a pretty big area, and several subway lines run through it.
 #546049  by gjk1716

NE TrainMan,

Somthing to consider on you trip to Harlem. The subway is cheaper, but you may have to deal with panhandlers, lousy musicians, and crowded cars. If you want a more peaceful trip, you can take Metro-North, but you will pay extra.

G-
 #546373  by Hamhock

You must take the A train to go to Sugar Hill way up in Harlem. If you miss the A train, you'll find you missed the quickest way to Harlem.
 #546632  by alchemist

Hamhock is so right -- to "Take the A Train" is the only authentic way to get there! As one of the conductors on the A express announces, "This is the A Experience to ..."