Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#507229  by Jayjay1213

Sorry, do not know if this was asked before. While riding home on the F train Friday, I saw a train headed to Coney Island, said H train, and on the side, the screen said Metro North? I saw it in the area of 18th Ave.

Any help?

Thanks

#508086  by RearOfSignal

Maybe a roll sign was messed around with showing a unused letter designation, but not Metro-North?

#511605  by Otto Vondrak

There are destinations of "Metro-North" and "LIRR" in the new digital destination boards, something about using subways as contingencies if there is a commuter rail strike. Something like that. Someone else can fill in the details.

"H" was once the IND Fulton Street Line designation.

"HH" had been the Court Street Shuttle at one point. In the 1960s, the "HH" was the Rockaway Shuttle. Then in the 1970s, it went from E to CC before it was once again the "H" in the early 1980s.

After 1986, "H" was the Rockaway Shuttle. Sometime in the 1990s, all shuttle operations were designated as "S" and the blue "H" was dropped.

They also probably stopped using the "H" designation because like "8" it sounds too much like "A."

-otto-

#513576  by fordhamkid7721

They still refer internally to it as H though

#515374  by TheKornGuy

Sounds like the operator had some extra time on his hands and decided to see if he could confuse anyone... I mean, why else would the train be marked that way? haha