Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#478126  by thor88

I was talking up a female conductor on the J and we get to Broad St and she kicks everybody off, but wants to keep talking so I got to ride down to the lay-up track where we changed ends and we headed back to Broad St.

OK, not a real big deal, but I did notice some odd stuff. I didn't ask her anything because I was trying to get her phone number.

Here's what I observed:

When the train stopped I looked out and saw the slits in the wall were cinderblocked and I could see an exit sign. This weird alarm kept going off, really high pitched every few seconds. Further inspection at broad st: at the end of the platform theres a sign that says "TUNNEL ALARMED" Call before entering or something like that, theres a keypad to the right of it and theres a signal tower at the end of the platform.

Can anyone shed some light on to this?

#478225  by Fred Rabin

I can't shed any light, but did you get her phone number? :P

#478249  by devbeep2

there are two active yard tracks south of broad before the mainline tracks enter the east river tunnel.. the MTA doesn't want trespassers in either of those locations.

was the alarm coming from the train or in the tunnel?

and did you get her phone number :) ?

#478258  by thor88

devbeep2 wrote:there are two active yard tracks south of broad before the mainline tracks enter the east river tunnel.. the MTA doesn't want trespassers in either of those locations.

was the alarm coming from the train or in the tunnel?

and did you get her phone number :) ?
Oh yes and I got a hummer during our wait time on the lay-up.

The alarm was coming from somewhere in the tunnel.

#478538  by devbeep2

haha thor i didnt even realize that was you..