Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#53054  by ctaman34

R142A wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:In light of this discussion, I think the universal/uniform speed for ALL NYCT trains (maximum at least) should be 65 mph. The MBTA should follow suit as well. 65 mph is the BEST run im ny opinion.
Okay, and when one person falls onto the tracks and gets hit or a slight derailment happens, the MTA would rather lower the speed limit to 15MPH than have a large lawsuit! (an obvious overexaggeration, but you get the point.)

Accidents create the "need" for more grade timers or wheel detectors. This results in slower speeds.
i agree

#53067  by F40

R142A:

How do you get an image to be 6KB or less (for example) with the photos on Dave's site? I've tried resizing it with Paint, but the pic became too small and it was still around 9KB with .gif mode.

thedarkliberator:

I don't know about the e/b run, but w/b, A trains certainly do not reach much above 30 at most because of aforementioned reasons (i.e. timers). Our average speed on my timed run was 27mph.

In addition, on the JFK to Broad Channel run, we coasted around 40mph, and barely peaked 45. Even with all these speeds, we arrived Far Rockaway 5 minutes early, according to the MTA's schedules.
 #53385  by thedarkliberator

So you guys run 45 on the Far Rockaway run, wow! That is slower than I thought, then again you want to get to the city in 20 minutes from there I guess you should be taking LIRR! Though on a more serious note, 45 mph is pretty fast, and I suppose is satisfactory. I wonder if CPCTC would increase speeds significiantly...

#53629  by F40

What is CPCTC?

Also, I was on a R32 A train to Far Rockaway the last time I went. Some SubTalkers, (though I don't know if this is scientifically true) has said there are speed differences between the R44 and R32/38's, saying the R44's are slightly slower. But regardless, I enjoyed the railfan window the entire way! :-D