Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#465932  by geoking66

Does the MTA release ridership (weekday or annual, preferrably annual) statistics for individual stations? If so, where can I find them?

#466242  by geoking66

I found a source. I'm amazed by the ridership numbers on purely the IRT Lexington Avenue Line, which from experience I know is way too crowded for its own good. Annually:

Bowling Green - 6.515m
Wall Street - 6.532m
Spring Street - 3.439m
Astor Place - 5.674m
23 Street - 8.948m
28 Street - 6.366m
33 Street - 8.916m
68 Street - 10.141m
77 Street - 10.370m
86 Street - 17.927m

After 86 Street the numbers gradually decrease, but even on the most heavily patronised systems in the world such as the Tube this is still insane for just one line.

#466305  by Raritan Express

According to the FEIS for the Second Avenue Subway, the IRT Lexington Line carries 1.3 million people a day, more people than all of San Fransisco, Chicago, and Boston's subway systems combined. The Second Avenue Subway is supposed to relieve congestion on the Lexington Avenue Line.

#466362  by geoking66

Raritan Express wrote:According to the FEIS for the Second Avenue Subway, the IRT Lexington Line carries 1.3 million people a day, more people than all of San Fransisco, Chicago, and Boston's subway systems combined. The Second Avenue Subway is supposed to relieve congestion on the Lexington Avenue Line.
I'm waiting for the Second Avenue Subway and when it's done, there'll be an entrance across the street from my friend's apartment, literally I can take a train right to her door.

#467845  by Allan

geoking66 wrote:
Raritan Express wrote:According to the FEIS for the Second Avenue Subway, the IRT Lexington Line carries 1.3 million people a day, more people than all of San Fransisco, Chicago, and Boston's subway systems combined. The Second Avenue Subway is supposed to relieve congestion on the Lexington Avenue Line.
I'm waiting for the Second Avenue Subway and when it's done, there'll be an entrance across the street from my friend's apartment, literally I can take a train right to her door.
By the time that happens you will probably have found another friend, be married, or retired.

#470329  by Bay Head Local

geoking66 wrote:I found a source. I'm amazed by the ridership numbers on purely the IRT Lexington Avenue Line, which from experience I know is way too crowded for its own good. Annually:

Bowling Green - 6.515m
Wall Street - 6.532m
Spring Street - 3.439m
Astor Place - 5.674m
23 Street - 8.948m
28 Street - 6.366m
33 Street - 8.916m
68 Street - 10.141m
77 Street - 10.370m
86 Street - 17.927m

After 86 Street the numbers gradually decrease, but even on the most heavily patronised systems in the world such as the Tube this is still insane for just one line.
I can definitely agree to that....I had to let 2 (4) trains and one(5) train pass today before I can fit into one