Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#425182  by F23A4

Over the last two weeks or so, I have noticed that WTC-bound trains slow down to a crawl here.

While riding at the head end today, I noticed that one of the rails appears a bit crooked. Is there any plan to replace this rail segment?
 #425200  by kdjohnson

What I have noticed is that there are speed restriction signs in that area because they are doing track work. What ever they are working on in that area all trains have to slow down then proceed. I also noticed that there are a lot of wooden ties that they are getting ready to replace.

Also running through penn station last weekend, PATH had passenger use track H for all trains. They usually do that at night and on the weekends when they are doing track work on the WTC bound tracks.

Just a guess.

Ken

#431586  by Otto Vondrak

F23A4- are you a qualified track inspector? Often times things that look dangerous to the naked eye are not dangerous situations at all.

-otto-

#433964  by F23A4

Otto Vondrak wrote:F23A4- are you a qualified track inspector? Often times things that look dangerous to the naked eye are not dangerous situations at all.

-otto-
...just a qualified passenger. :wink: It just seemed like observation of the speed restriction (?) seemed to coincide with my observation of that track segment...not to mention the "wobble" of the coach over that track.

Admittedly, I had not observed that section of track (or wobble) prior to noting the speed reduction.

#434366  by devbeep2

He's obviously not a track inspector.. track doesn't get replaced if it looks crooked. that's a tie/plate/ballast issue, if not an optical illusion caused by looking at tracks from that particularly inaccurate vantage point.