Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#437242  by kdjohnson

Allan,

I understand your break down. Could it just be that Maybe the PA wanted to at least have people get $15 ($ 20 - $5 Fee) to get them started and then have them use the PVM (Path vending machines) Now I have not used them yet, but my understanding from the PATH smartlink brochure ( or maybe I heard it here) is that the same discounts that applied to the quick card was suppose to apply to the smartlink card. If someone can shed some light on that I would appreciate it.

Thanks
KJ

#437332  by arrow

Yes, you can add the same amount of trips for the same price as a QuickCard.
 #437430  by Allan

kdjohnson wrote:Allan,

I understand your break down. Could it just be that Maybe the PA wanted to at least have people get $15 ($ 20 - $5 Fee) to get them started and then have them use the PVM (Path vending machines) Now I have not used them yet, but my understanding from the PATH smartlink brochure ( or maybe I heard it here) is that the same discounts that applied to the quick card was suppose to apply to the smartlink card. If someone can shed some light on that I would appreciate it.

Thanks
KJ
I thought I went into that in my breakdown. I guess I wasn't clear in the way I stated it.

But yes, once you get past the one time $5 fee all future adding of trips is at the same discounts currently used on the QuickCards.

I have been using mine for about 6 weeks (with 2 refills) and so far it is working fine. I did get "Tap Again" on 2 occasions but that was my fault - my aim was a little off and I only tapped part of the card on the target.
 #507463  by blasito

PA and NJT to test MasterCard replacement for SmartLink

"The Port Authority will partner with NJ TRANSIT to undertake an eight-month pilot test that will allow customers to use contactless bank cards, key fobs, cell phones and other devices to pay for transit. The test will help determine if customers could ultimately use these devices to pay fares on all of the region’s transit systems, including New York City’s subways and buses."

P.S. The PATH will be free on Feb 25th to celebrate its 100th Anniversary.
In addition to free rides, PATH staff will distribute vouchers for free SmartLink cards at all 13 PATH stations.
 #507697  by Terrapin Station

blasito wrote:PA and NJT to test MasterCard replacement for SmartLink

"The Port Authority will partner with NJ TRANSIT to undertake an eight-month pilot test that will allow customers to use contactless bank cards, key fobs, cell phones and other devices to pay for transit. The test will help determine if customers could ultimately use these devices to pay fares on all of the region’s transit systems, including New York City’s subways and buses."

P.S. The PATH will be free on Feb 25th to celebrate its 100th Anniversary.
In addition to free rides, PATH staff will distribute vouchers for free SmartLink cards at all 13 PATH stations.
I don't think the MasterCard system is necessarily a direct replacement for SmartLink. Since the MasterCard system would presumably require an additional account (like a bank account, credit card account, or wireless account), I think they would need to retain SmartLink since not every has or will want to use a third-party account to fund their contactless payment device.