Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#393237  by Love Train

According to MTA website and SubChat. The question is FOR HOW LONG? What are the chances of me going up to New York and not having to encounter any service changes and being able to enjoy a rare pleasant weekend with normal subway service?

BTW, my condolences go out to the track worker who was killed & his family & friends. I don't know if the other one was killed, but if he was, my condolences go out to him & his kinsmen too.

#393884  by Pelham

All work will be cancelled until EVERY one who works on the track and all Supervisors in track and Rapid Transit operations takes a 4 hour refresher couse on track safety. Also at this time Train Operators are being issued track safety bulletins but not under the recall for a Refresher couse. If they recalled Train Operators like they did the track workers they have to stop train service because everyone be sitting in a classroom instead of operating a train.

#394733  by Pelham

Track Work will resume Friday 8PM. ALL Wkend track work WILL be in effect.

#394742  by harryguy082589

Pelham wrote:Track Work will resume Friday 8PM. ALL Wkend track work WILL be in effect.
I was really looking forward to one weekend free of the always changing chaos and confusion that normally exists on the subway on the weekends.

#395543  by geoking66

harryguy082589 wrote:
Pelham wrote:Track Work will resume Friday 8PM. ALL Wkend track work WILL be in effect.
I was really looking forward to one weekend free of the always changing chaos and confusion that normally exists on the subway on the weekends.
You're never going to get a chaos free weekend on a 24/7 operating subway system. I really don't see the need to the constant service.

#395886  by harryguy082589

geoking66 wrote: You're never going to get a chaos free weekend on a 24/7 operating subway system. I really don't see the need to the constant service.
And why is that?

I agree that repairs are necessary, that service is less crucial on the weekend so its better to do it then, and I don't fault the MTA for its changes- but that there is no need for constant service... if i don't have a car on Monday or Tuesday and can't afford taxis constantly i also don't have it on sat or sunday and can't afford taxis constantly.

I find my way around, but its a pain. Think of it like taxes... i hate them and it would be nice not to have them for a year, but I am still willing to pay.