Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

What is your favorite currently operating subway car type?

R-143
14%
R-142
19%
R-68
8%
R-62
7%
R-46
4%
R-44
2%
R-42
4%
R-40
11%
R-38
7%
R-32
25%

by efin98

They may be old but they are still some of the best cars out there. Can't go wrong riding in an R32 car!

by 7 Train

I really do like the R36 and hope that they will run again in regular service this year for their 40th birthday (1964) and the Centennial.

by Robert Paniagua

In addition to the R46 cars that I already like, the other favourite for me is the Slanted R40, citing its large bulkhead door windows. Those cars were also the first to have Air Conditioning. I think those, IMHO, are the coolest cars.

by 7 Train

No, the first NYCT cars with A/C as standard equipment were the last 10 R38's (4140-49), which were an A/C test train.

by BMTLines

I have to say NONE of the above - AFAIAC nothing will ever beat a BMT D-Type Triplex... Bring back articulated cars and I might reconsider :wink:

by jspsh

R62: it runs the 7 line :-D

by 7 Train

R62A's are on the the 7. The R62 is on the 3 (and 4).

by F40

How do you vote in these polls?

by Skip-Stop

Click your choice, and voila, you've voted.

I like the R32's, but they do have their flaws. The windows are plastered with plenty of scratchiti and the brakes are horrible.
  by Mdlbigcat

My choice would be the R40 Slants. They screamed " THE FUTURE" whenever they came down the tracks.

When I was a kid in NYC back around '68/69, I always DESPISED riding the E because that line had the Arnies, I wanted to ride the F because they had the Slants. But noooo, Mom had to get the first train,and she preferred the friggin E over the cool F! I finally got my chance when I rode to Coney Island, and had to use the F to get there. For my 10/11 year old mind it was the absolute coolest subway ride ever.

by Robert Paniagua

In which I recommend that the Slant R40 runs on the F once again and shuffle some of the R46 coaches to the Q or the N, and we could use some of those R40s on the F, since the R46 only features full-width cab cars with a fuzzy view out front.
  by Head-end View

Ha, ha; Well big cat I wonder if we ever passed each other on the platform back in '68/'69! You probably already read it, but if not, check out my post on page 3 of this thread on 6/27/04 re: the first time I rode an R-40 on that glorious day in 1968! :-D

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah I remember that story Ian, that was the good times when those Silverbirds arrivced in town. Now if only the NYCTA makes a major car reassignment and assigns the Following consists to the Coney Island extensions:

Q- R44, R46, R68 and a handful of R40Slant's

N- R40M, R46, and R68/68A

D- R32, R38, R44 and R46.

F-R32, R40Slant's, and R46

Those are my suggestions, hoepfully they'll considder such :-)
  by Head-end View

Well Rob, that would be great if the R-40 (or R-40M/R-42) ever returned to the F line. Then I could finally get a front window ride over that Smith-9th St. bridge. Lets keep our fingers crossed. :-)

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, I know Ian. I'm pretty sure the NYCTA will get their heads adjusted somewhat and get some of the corner cab cars into the F and shift most of the R46 coaches to the E, R, V and B. Those lines are 99% underground, with nothing to offer in terms of viewing unlike the open-air lines.