Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#306725  by Tommy Meehan

I found a listing of the cars left at WTC after 9/11. They are - in numerical order - 845, 750, 745, 612, 160, 143 and 139. I don't remember the web site I found it on (I'll look it up) but I have seen it before.

My question is, a PATH employee once said the cars were not severely damaged but after being removed by crane they were parked on a Meadowlands Maintenance Center storage track for quite a while. Implying there was a feeling that maybe PATH was reluctant to put them back in service (which I think is pretty understandable).

Does anyone know if they are still sitting on a shop track? In service? Scrapped??

thanks!

#306775  by arrow

I'm positive that at least a couple of them are in service because I've ridden them since. I doubt they would retire the cars, I'm almost positive they are still in service.

#307098  by Tommy Meehan

arrow I think you might be right. I have the feeling I've seen 845. I have these numbers on a slip of paper in my wallet and am looking now every time I'm on PATH.

#307166  by Idiot Railfan

Tommy Meehan wrote:arrow I think you might be right. I have the feeling I've seen 845. I have these numbers on a slip of paper in my wallet and am looking now every time I'm on PATH.
I'm going to do the same thing. That would be strange to be riding one.

If I'm not mistaken, the PA is keeping two, maybe three, of the cars that had substantial damage for eventual use in the still-debated museum.

#307172  by Idiot Railfan

These are the towns these cars are named for:

845 No listing
750 West New York
745 Madison
612 Wyckoff
160 River Edge
143 Freehold Township
139 Montvale

#307173  by Idiot Railfan

These are the towns these cars are named for:

845 No listing